Starting the New Year with a Roommate Reunion

 This weekend was nothing short of wonderful. I flew out to Utah early on Friday morning and Tanner dropped me off. He was a little bummed that I was leaving but I think he will be happy once I get home seeing how full of joy I am.

Liz picked me up from the airport and we spent a little time together with her son before her ex picked him up. I grabbed some Starbucks and we got some things to eat at her house and off we went back to her new place. It was softly snowing and so beautiful. We got all cozy and just sat and talked and ate snacks for HOURS. Liz has been through so much with another divorce, moving out, and her son’s autism diagnosis. Not to mention uprooting her entire business and the uncertainty of it all. She is a warrior! We snuggled all that night and watched a chick flick and I slept soooo well.

The next day we got ready and headed to her sister’s house where we all met up for the day. (Her sister is in Hawaii with her family). Lonneka and Tina both showed up and we spent hours again laughing and crying and catching up. Tina is a cancer survivor and her father passed away and she’s considering moving from Colorado to help with her son’s asthma. If she does, it would mean selling her dance studio and beginning again in a whole new place. Lonneka lives in Boise and has never been able to have children. She is very well adjusted and loves her career as a realtor. She is a boss babe and so funny and straight to the point. Half way through the day, Xochitl showed up and that’s when the real party started. We were able to hear about her new marriage and new daughter who has also been recently diagnosed with autism. She cried talking about losing her mom and falling away from her only brother. And we all laughed as we remembered good times in Rexburg and all of our crazy adventures. Liz brought a book of old pictures and boy did it stir up the memories.

And not only that, but sometime profound happens in the brain (and heart) when you dig up old memories. Happy ones will bring you back to that time, will fill your body with dopamine and remind you of who you were at that time- carefree, young, and wild with possibilities. Likewise, I’d say the opposite is true of any past trauma. But I think it’s extremely therapeutic to reminisce about old times that were happy and good and to be surrounded with people who experienced the same things at the same time, but maybe from a slightly different perspective bringing a richness of diversity to the Rosie memory.

We talked for 12 straight hours with one short dinner break at Cubby’s in between. That night, I slept so well in Liz’s sanctuary and felt so calm and serene from my head to my toes. Sunday morning was cold and snowy and I spent most of the day being lazy and luxuriating in my last few hours of freedom. Liz’s ex dropped off her son and we spent the afternoon with him. She fed me delicious foods and I took a shower using all of her amazing products. Nothing could be better.

But alas, here I am on the plane getting ready to fly home. Back to life, back to reality. I miss my babies and I KNOW Tanner misses me and is anxious to hear all about my trip and about all of the things Liz taught me about living your best life. It will be hard to wake up tomorrow morning but I’m excited to see Colleen and my kids are excited to see their friends. Tanner finally got a small bonus so we can get a new washer and dryer! And hopefully the money trend continues.

2024, I’m ready for you!!!



































Before I left for Utah, I had 3 days to unpack, pack, and clean. My mom needed help cleaning up her Christmas stuff so we went down there and then we took Ella to Ikea to buy a few new things. It was so fun! We also had to take all of our laundry to the laundromat because we still don't have a new one!

Comments