Kindergarten

Parker is blowing kindergarten out of the water! I hesitated to send him this year because he's pretty much the youngest in his class. But, he's performing academically at the top of his class and he is by no means the smallest kid in there! He is flourishing in math and reading. He was invited to be a part of the nationally recognized Accelerated Reader Program which challenges advanced readers. I volunteer in his classroom once a week and have had the opportunity to work with his fellow kindergartners  I'm impressed with Parker's achievements and very grateful that his has a caring, patient, and energetic teacher who sees the best in him. The children in his class are so sweet, too.  Apparently, when they sit down on Wednesday mornings and gather around for "calender time" they all say, "It's Wednesday! Does that mean Parker's Mom is coming!?" At parent teacher conference she explained to me that some of her students still don't know all the days of the week but they all know and get excited when it's Wednesday and because they know I will be there to spend time with them. I have the privilege of working with them one on one and it's been such a joy. I try to make each one of them feel special and loved. Much like I do in the primary. (Oh! By the way! I'm the primary president!) I also sit with Parker at lunch and all the kids gather around me and want to tell me their whole life stories.  The only area where Parker seems to struggle is listening and being quiet. He is constantly whistling, tapping, bouncing, or humming.  But his teacher made it clear that it is not affecting him academically and as he matures he will learn to control the excess energy. What I think he needs is a musical outlet. I wish we still had our piano here in PA. For the most part he's been able to make new friends easily and he LOVES school! What more could you ask for?

Comments