Dad's 74th Birthday Party!
On Sunday we were able to celebrate my Dad's 74th birthday! My Mom wanted to make it super special so she brought a bunch of fun games for the kids to play and made the best cake! Cort made us tacos and we all had a wonderful time playing and chatting and being together. We had a moment when all of us siblings were together while our kids were off playing and we were able to have a conversation about our kids growing up and how much we rely on each other to keep our kids watched over. I truly am so blessed with an amazing family- on both sides. Where much is given, much is required and I know Heavenly Father expects great things from me and my children. We are so fortunate.
My Dad is an extraordinary man. He is fair and forgiving, spiritual and strong. He's a genius. He is funny and knows how to have a good time. He's my rock. His example is perfect and I love him so much. Us siblings were reflecting on our many fond memories with my Dad which turned into a humorous recollection of past rebellion. I had to laugh when I admitted that the only time I could remember Dad getting angry with me during my teenage years (not even angry, just kinda disciplining me) was after high school when I was home from college. I met the guy, Sean, who I was dating, on Balboa Island and I borrowed my Dad's car to get there. It was past midnight and I still wasn't home so he called my cell phone and told me I was in trouble and that I couldn't use the car anymore. I felt so bad! In college I didn't HAVE a curfew! I could stay out as long as I wanted. And in high school I was always with Angel and we were never out past midnight unless we got special permission. Anyway, my siblings laughed at me. I think they take pride in the fact that they all helped raise me and I turned out ok. ha ha Their stories are a lot more exciting than mine!
Dad, I love you so much and I know you told me to delete these pictures because you're wearing "that dumb, stupid hat that looked dorky" but I don't see the hat when I look at them. I see the most rad Dad in the universe. The one who loves me unconditionally and has never let me down. You're the best Dad and I am so lucky to be your caboose!
Our special memories:
Kari:Happy Birthday Daddy! I love you so much! I remember beach parties in Santa Barbara, listening to our 8trak of the Beach Boys. I could stand in the back of the Ford and put my arm around your neck while you drove. I remember your strong Daddy hands on my head giving me a blessing when I woke up sick one Christmas. I did feel better and we had a wonderful day. I got a dollhouse we could walk in to! I am so thankful for each and every blessing you've given me and I am so thankful you have always been a priesthood holder. I remember our 1 on 1 trip to Magic Mountain. I felt so special and loved. Than we drove to Utah to meet up with the fam. I read the whole Lost Boys book and we listened to U2. That album still reminds me of that drive to Utah and I love it! I remember always feeling so safe that you worked at home and we could call you any time for any reason and you would be there. I remember taking 8 quarters for has out of your little basket on your bed from time to time. I love that you confirmed both of my children after their baptisms and you words are always in my heart. Thank you for loving me the way you do and for all of your care and thoughtfulness to whatever is going on in my life at whatever time. You have never steered me wrong and always know the best way to go. How do you do that? You even took care of Rocky bear and i trusted you completely. You told me to get a little stuffed animal at the airport so I wouldn't be lonely and I did and it worked! I love you Daddy, more than words can say!!!
Cami: Daddy! Thank you for giving us all a lifetime of fun, wonderful, amazing adventures! One of my earliest memories is getting a shoulder ride as you were jogging (evening in NorCal) I have always loved "tagging along" with you! And on our road trips to Utah you let me sit in your lap and "drive" the car (old green ford) through the desert! You also brought us to Tower Records to pick out "road trip" music! We chose U2, Police, and Beach Boys! (with a little help from you) still my favorites! Root beer floats, peach parties, much much more! I LOVE YOU!
Jon: Happy birthday Dad! Hope you have a FUN and FESTIVE day today. If the academy had awards for dads, you would be nominated for "best performance by a father"!!! You are AWESOME dad! Hiking around rocks at 3 arch bay to see the blow hole, Saturday morning work outs to Village People and other cool bands, teaching me to drive stick in the red convertible RX7. Driving around the Ziggurat building after church each Sunday, not punishing me for parking, then getting the blue Pontiac towed from a field adjacent to Irvine Meadows so I could avoid paying $10 parking before sneaking into a concert, Lakers basketball! Watching every game from 1982 to 1993. Showtime! Playing hoops in our Modoc driveway, 4th quarter ice cream, popcorn and soda with the Laker boys. You also took me to Baskin Robins to celebrate when they won in 1982. I was 7 1/2 (Kim's age) Playing pool and getting run by Josi and you! So funny! 4th of July trips to Utah, Beach Boys in the canyon, "understanding Jane" ward Talent Show. Your loving send off when I departed to serve a mission. Teaching me to tie a tie in the cabin, hours before the MTC. Developing my photos from ARG and pointing out one particular "bodacious babe". So many fun memories! I love you Dad. Happy Birthday
Josi: Yay for Dad! Happy Birthday! I remember pool dates in Jr. High and road trip to see Face to Face live in LA. Also going as a family to see them at House of Blues in Anaheim for their last tour. I remember all the times the we have had a minute just me and you that you have shared your testimony and special stories from the gospel and remind me how much the Savior loves me. I love you DAD!! Happy birthday! I hope you are enjoying your bi yearly new pair of running shoes!
Me: Love you Daddy! Happy birthday! I remember piggy back rides to bed, special popcorn on Laker nights with the Laker boys, Peppermill on the way to Utah, sitting in your lap at church and strolls in Santa Barbara on our way to Los Gatos. You are the best dad in the entire Universe and I'm so so so happy it's your birthday so we can celebrate YOU!








































Comments