First Week of Summer Break
Monday was HOT. We stayed local and cashed in our raffle prize of rock climbing at Hangar 18. I wasn’t sure Ella wanted to try it and she was hesitant at first. But she made great progress and I’m so proud of her! She tried a new thing and was so happy. Jack tried his best and did great but Ray was, again, in her element. She climbed to the top in record time and then did it over and over again. It was hot in the gym and there was no AC. We left after 2 hours of climbing and my car said it was 119 degrees outside!
The kids cooled off inside while I lounged in the pool for a couple of hours. GLORIOUS!
Ella had her first cheer practice that night with Mrs. Potter and it was so fun! She’s in a group with Amelia and Sophia and I don’t think there ever were 3 happier girls! It’s adorable!
Tuesday was the $1 movie at our local theater. Minions. The kids each got a snack pack of popcorn and candy (Parker, too!) and they were happy as can be. I had to pull them out a little early so I could make it on time to my massage appointment. I was sooo looking forward to my self care time but she totally FELL ASLEEP on me during the massage! Awkward. How do I tell her to WAKE UP? Me, the one who hates confrontation. Ugh.
That evening, Jack had a soccer meeting, Rayleigh had another tennis class (which she loved) and I had a fun dinner out with some coworkers.
Wednesday was Wild Rivers day with Jon and the kids (Jessi, too) Not Parker: he went to San Diego to spend time with Emerald. They watched movies and baked cookies.
But the kids had a blast at Wild Rivers going down all the slides with their cousins. I sat and chatted with Jon all day and we floated down the lazy river together. I was glad to realize how far we’ve come. There was a time when I would rather have poked my eyes out with a fork than spend that kind of time with him. But it was a really nice day. We stayed for over 9 hours and they kids were blissfully tuckered out when we got home.
We listened to a Wrinkle in Time last week and so far this week we’ve listened to The Black Stallion and Pippi Longstocking. The kids are so awesome in the car- they just sit quietly and listen to the books which is amazing.
Thursday I got a good workout in (trying to workout every day in the garage) and we did a fair amount of cleaning (like hand wiping all of the floors). I also washed Ella’s sheets because she’s been fighting some sort of sickness. She had a little fever and has a cough now. Magically, though, she said she felt better after I made her take some Tylenol. Thursday evening, Tanner and I took the littles to see Peter Pan at the Segerstrom. Tanner kinda ruined it for me straight out the gate when he very loudly complained about our seats being too far away. He said, “never again!” So then I replied, “Then don’t get mad at me when I factor you out! (Which he hates, apparently). But he can’t have it both ways! Ugh. I was hurt. I try to hard to plan and execute fun, family memories and when people complain (which is almost always ONLY Tanner) it really makes me sad. But the show was pretty good! Peter Pan had an amazing singing voice but his lines were delivered very erratically. Like, he sounded like Blippi. The show was set during modern times so it was a little “woke” Disney. But overall, it was an excellent show and the kids and I really enjoyed it. Especially the flying! We got home super late! Thank goodness it’s summer!
Friday, we did some chores and then I took the kids to the store to purchase any and all snacks they wanted to help make their own lunches for the following week. They were in heaven! Then we MADE said lunches and headed down to Strands to meet Angel and her boys for a beach day! (Not Luis because apparently he hates me for no reason) The kids were THRILLED to be together again. They spent HOURS in the water. To the point that they all have rashes from their suits scraping against the salty sand. When the sun started to go down, we went up to use the clubhouse pool but it was closed so the kids just played until it was thoroughly dark. I showered the kids off at the clubhouse bathroom and when I returned Robyn's key, she gave me a HUGE bag of clothes for Ray! It’s like a whole new wardrobe! Love Robyn!! Love our BFFs!
That night, we had a slumber party at my moms house. The kids climbed right into bed in the playroom and my mom and I spent hours eating and talking in the kitchen. She’s the best! I love my parents so much! And I love how warm and cozy their home is. It truly is a sacred place.
Saturday morning, we slept in and had a nice, relaxing morning. The kids were great! But as I was cleaning up, my mom was helping out a sleeping bag away and SLICED her arm wide open. It was bad. We had to rush her to urgent care and she had to get 10 stitches! Ugh!!! I felt terribly! She was shaking and so upset but it was a quick, easy fix, and she was fine when it was all over. Tanner was there (he brought us Chick A Lay for breakfast) and after my Dad took my Mom to the doctor, he was sooooooo mean! Just so rude and disrespectful to me. I know he HATES doing the things I LOVE to do with the kids. But for him to bring that kind of energy to MY world, my safe place, was so jarring. I’m still so upset with him. I begged him to just leave us alone and go back home (which he complained and made very clear he wanted to do several times) but he refused. Why oh why does he have to be so mean? I just don’t get it. But whatever. I’m writing this post as I watch the sunset at the beach with the kids. He’s home “working on his lesson for tomorrow”. So I don’t want to rob myself of this healing and beautiful time by thinking too much about what a jerk he is.
I took Ray to the urgent care and was hoping she could watch my mom get stitches. But we were too late. We waited to make sure she was ok and then we went to Laguna Beach to visit the Museum of Make Believe. This place was so cool. We used a treasure map to take us on a magical journey through art and stories to break a secret code. At the end, we were all able to choose a prize from the treasure box. It was cool! We then walked to South Swell Ice Cream for a yummy treat and then down to the beach. We went to Cress Street beach (where we’d never been before) and it was sooo pretty!!! The kids begged to go back to the beach (hence, we are at Salt Creek currently).
We, fittingly, visited the Fairy Garden at the Laguna Beach Library and the girls played a little make believe. We got cordials for my mom (and me) from the Chocolaier as a “get well soon” gift. We went back to my mom’s to eat a snack, clean up, and say goodbye. She is doing much better. But I still feel badly about her poor arm.
Tanner went home to plan his lesson for tomorrow and I took the kids to Salt Creek to play at the beach until the sunset. As we waited for a parking spot, the guy ran over and gave us his parking pass! Score! The kids and I enjoyed an evening at the beach-Rayleigh swam in the ocean until the sun went down and Jack and Ella played in the sand. We finished Pippi Longstocking on the way home and listened to a story we were given at the Museum of Make Believe.
It was a great first week of Summer despite the unfortunate accident with my mom’s arm. I love Summer!!!

















































Comments