Second Week of Summer Break 2024
The start to the week was church (Tanner taught EQ and I taught Ella’s class), kicked off Ella’s birthday week with a happy birthday song in primary, followed by some chicken n rice and relaxing. Then family pictures at 3 Arch Bay! I tried to nail down Trianna for a very long time to take our pictures and it finally all worked out! I’m so excited to see how they turned out. We had a great time despite still being frustrated with Tanner. We got Wahoos and Handels on the way home which totally hit the spot.
Monday was a hot, sweaty, semi disappointing day at Disney. It was our first day back after a long summer break from the parks and we couldn’t get our DAS pass due to recent changes in policy. (Don’t worry, I will try again because we really do need it). We were able to ride pirates and haunted mansion, which are our favorites. But it was crowded and hot so we were ready to go home earlier than usual. Ella had cheer with her besties and we snuggled down at night to watch the Black Stallion because we just finished listening to that book. It was good!
Tuesday was traumatic. I’d made reservations for us to visit a new place- Adventure Playground in Huntington Beach. This cool outdoor area has been on my radar for a few years and we finally made it happen. We were well prepared with food, closed toe shoes, and an extra change of clothes. What we weren’t prepared for what Ella stubbing her finger on some wood and getting a chunk of splinted up under her finger nail. I tried to do some first aid while at the playground because we had JUST gotten there and everyone was already wet and muddy. But no luck. I called Tanner to help me strategize and told Rayleigh and Jack that we needed to run to an urgent care. Long story short, it took 4 urgent cares to find the right one and it was a hole in the wall place. The doctor was kind but old and when he administered the lidocaine for her finger block, Ella was screaming and writhing in pain and he was stabbing her and losing his patience. He was not equipped for what she needed. He used a gigantic needle and wasn’t able to fully numb her finger- something we sadly realized after he tried to start the procedure to get the splinters out and she was horrified and screaming in terror. I’ll never forget how she stared into my eyes screaming, “Ouch!!! Stop!!!!” I was sitting on the table with her, holding her in my lap. The doctor said we needed to stop, that they were not adept at handling this kind of situation. He suggested a sedation in the ER.
*On a positive note, the doctor was very complimentary of the kids and me. He said I was the most patient mother he’s encountered. He got down on his knee and told the kids that if he had a gold medal for good behavior, he would give it to them. He said they were exceptional for sitting so quietly while Ella was going through such a harrowing and terrifying ordeal. I’ll take those compliments and shout them from the rooftops because I DO have the best kids in the whole wide world and it’s been a long 10 years of hearing criticism (sometimes). So yay for that positive acknowledgment.
So, after that, Ella was super relieved and we were able to go back to Adventure Playground and finish up the day. Rayleigh and Jack played in the fortresses and made friends. Ella was able to relax with me, eat lunch, and feed some curious squirrels. That evening, Rayleigh had her last tennis lesson of the summer and was promoted to the intermediate class. Jack had his first soccer practice and LOVED it. He’s got a great team and coaches.
Wednesday, we met Jon, Kimmie, and Brody at Doheny for the kids’ first surf lessons! Kimmie was a fantastic teacher and the kids caught on right away! Jon said he’d never seen kids jump up and find their balance so quickly. They were stoked! Jack surfed ALL day and caught a lot of waves. Rayleigh was a natural and let Jack take the board as she swam with Brody in the warm waves. I swam with Ella and it was paradise. Jon, in confidence, told my mom later that he was so grateful for me and Rayleigh and Jack. They are good cousins to Brody who needs happy, inclusive friends who love him. We all do! But I’m glad he’s making an effort to be extra kind and loving to me after that very disheartening time period where he was so cruel to me (because of his insecurities about Brody). Anyhoo, it was a wonderful day at the beach. But I got fried! Whoops!
That evening, I left the kids at my parent’s house with my Dad while I went with my mom to our annual Bookclub garden party. Luckily, it was at Annique’s house and I was talk to her about Ella’s finger. She suggested hand doctor. Lucky again, Jana was there with Janie and they asked Jeff (the brother/son who is a dermatologist) and he said he would be happy to take care of Ella’s finger if the need arises. As of now, we will wait and see if her body works it out naturally. But the garden party was SO fun and the food was delicious! It was a great night with lovely ladies and my heart was so full!
Thursday was another hot day at California Adventure. Parker was able to come with us again (he’s been working a TON this week and making lots of money! Woo hoo!) Again, we only went on 3 rides and spent way too long in line. When we said we wanted to try Incredicoaster, Ray just ran off and had to find a security guard to call me because she couldn’t find me. She thought we were right behind her but we went a different way. I’m glad we know the parks so well that it wasn’t a stressful episode. But, we ended the afternoon at Naples for happy house with pizza and garlic knots which was yummy. Jack has soccer again and we had a nice night.
Friday, Ella had a fun play date at Amelia’s house. They rented a blow up water slide and she played with her little bestie while I did birthday prep for her at home. I baked muffins and cupcakes, cleaned and did laundry, set up birthday signs, and wrapped her gifts! Ray helped me made goodie bags by ironing on vinyl flowers on canvas bags. The kids helped me put away all of the groceries I ordered and made a giant tower of food. Truly, they were a huge help and I so appreciated them being so willing! We went ice skating to cool off and the kids really enjoyed that activity. Before we left, I got an Edible Arrangement and chocolate covered fruit delivered from Tanner to say sorry for being mean all week and for yelling at my the night before over the thermostat. So that was nice! That night, I went to Cheesecake Factory with Jana, Richel, and Jacqueline. I hadn’t seen Jacqueline in AGES and it was so fun to catch up with her! Angel bailed which made me sad. But she gets stressed and anxious and there’s just nothing you can do… I’m wondering if I need to take a step back from her for a while. But the evening with my life long friends was so refreshing and fun! Everyone is doing great and that makes me so happy.
Life is pretty great and tomorrow, my little Ella Bella baby is turning 7! Lucky 7!!!! She’s my little bestie and I can’t wait to celebrate her!




















































































Comments