Trying to be Screen Free

 Well, bad news. Vangie bailed on Tanner. After months of meetings and high hopes, she brutally let him (and us) down. Tanner is back to the drawing board and many of the options he had a few weeks ago are gone now. It’s a busy time of year with summer starting and graduations and it’s not the best time to be looking for and securing a new job. But we are still holding out hope and have faith everything will work out. I’ve had my moments of despair, frustration, and disappointment. I don’t know why Tanner has to find a new job every year. I don’t know why money always seems to be an issue. I don’t know why we can’t save more and have the opportunity to move to OC, I don’t know why our ward is so terribly and we are never asked to help lead. It makes me sad. But, we won’t give up.

In an effort to be screen free and distracted, we took the kids out to play at the soccer fields and to the pickle ball courts. We kicked the soccer ball around and then hit a tennis ball big and far between us for a while and then we played pickleball together for the first time which was super fun! It was a good day.
Ella had her soccer party on Thursday and came home with a lot of gifts and treats. (Her team was so extra). Friday, we invited some of Jack’s friends to play night games at the park. Tanner and I walked around the park while the boys played laser tag and orbi guns. Somehow we got stuck with bringing Maribel to our house after games at the park and Jack went to Alec’s. But it was fine.
Saturday was terrible. Hence, nothing on the calendar and no pictures. Tanner and I went to Laguna for a date and it was awful. I was feeling soooo badly about all that’s going on and I just needed him to support me but he literally has no clue on how to do that. We drove in silence, we ate pizza in silence, we walked in silence. And I was mad because it was such a gorgeous day and I felt robbed of its beauty. The next day we had stake conference and I really didn’t want to go. But we went anyway and I felt better after that. Because the church is true.
It was also really helpful to talk to Parker on Monday because he can always pull me out of a downward spiral and he was happy and had good things to tell us. He went on a gorgeous hike to a lake behind the Montage in Deer Valley and he loving all of the members he’s serving with and the people he’s teaching. He’s excited for summer and the fact that we get to see him in the parade. It’s gonna be so epic! Parker is the freaking best and I love him so much. I’m so proud of him for serving a mission- for setting everything aside to serve the lord and be humble. He’s an amazing kid and I love that I get to be his mom.
Tuesday we took the kids to the temple. We have made it a goal to take Ray as often as possible so that she has a good experience with the temple and not just associate it with being with the youth from our ward. Bishop Leavitt was the recorder while she was baptized and it was just like the good old days going to the San Diego temple with Bishop Leavitt. I love that man. I also ran into my old high school friend Tara and yes, we got in trouble for talking, but it was so good to see her. We took the kids to chick fil an after the temple and I’m so proud of Ray for being willing to serve. She is also becoming an excellent missionary. Her best friend, Alaina, has been grieving ever since her dog died and her mom is really worried about her having an existential crisis. Ray has been able to be with her, comfort her, and share her testimony of the Plan of Salvation. She even asked Alaina if she would be up to hearing some ideas about heaven from the missionaries! I hope her heart is softened to that idea (Parker’s idea). I’m in awe of these kids of mine!
Ella’s class performed the Wizard of Oz for us (their little buddies) and Ella was Dorothy! She did such a good job and I’m so proud of her! And! I was able to go to Bookclub at my mom’s and guess who came? Professor Reed from MCO! It was like having a celebrity in the house! It was so fun and some how we got talking about my women’s retreat coming up which I’m so excited about and I could not hold back the enthusiasm and all of my bookie friends were so cute and laughing with me. It really made me feel so good. Annique especially sat with me for a while and we talked about why I go on these retreats and how much they have helped me. And when I was talking to Jodi, I was able to tell her about the incredible opportunity Ray has to go to NYC and perform in Carnegie Hall next year! 2027 will be one for the books!
Anyhoo, there’s been good days and bad. But mostly good. Life is good! We are all just hoping and praying Tanner gets a good job SOON. (But not too soon because we’d love him to come with us to the 4th of July ha ha)
































Comments