Surviving September

To say I wasn't excited to go back to school would be an understatement. The lack of confidence and security my teacher has really affects me and my ability to enjoy my job. Things are a little better and I take it day by day...  but man, it's been rough. Meanwhile, Taner is still unemployed which is extremely stressful. Although, he has a lot of promising prospects and he's happy and hopeful. 

He drove up to Bear Lake solo to attend his Uncle Jeff's funeral. Jeff was avoiding a Fed Ex truck when he flipped his ATV and died on the scene. It was tragic but he was glad he was able to be there and spend time with his family. And guess what??? Kaitlin is pregnant!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!! She's due in March and I'm crossing my fingers for a big chubby girl!

Parker's car got struck my lightening and he texted me to let me know he was ok. WHAT?!?!?! He said it was the loudest thing he'd ever heard and I'm so grateful he's ok. He's loving being on his mission and I miss him more each day. 

Rayleigh is currently obsessed with a video game called Dandy's World and spends any extra minute of the day playing it. We've been watching Outer Banks as a family each night and she sits with us and plays while we watch. (We LOVE Outer Banks and thanks to Vid Angel, we don't have to worry about all the bad words). She's doing really well in school and making friends. She's genuinely happy and that makes me happy! She loves to spend time with friends like Alaina on the weekends (going to dinner and the movies, baking, crafting...) and is tolerating lacrosse 3 times a week. 

Jack is cracking us up daily, playing soccer in the heat, and editing videos like it's his job. He loves to snuggle during Outer Banks and steals my gum every day. He earned the 2nd top reader in his class (surprising his judgey female classmates) and can't wait to grow up and earn some more independence. He would have happily grown up in the 90s when he could have played outside every day until dark and ride bikes all over town.

Ella is doing well in 4th grade and I count my blessings every day that 4th time is the charm. None of my. kids have done well (emotionally) in 4th grade and I'm happy that so far, she's been successful. She's not doing any sports (and she probably should) but we have enjoyed some Disney days together. She loves play dates with Amelia and still sings constantly. She had a blast at Leah's pool party with a giant soccer bullseye. That backyard wins for most epic!!!

My Dad was diagnosed with dementia. He had a bunch of testing done (most of which he disliked) and did not perform well cognitively despite his abnormally high IQ. I was able to be with my mom and dad during a follow up appointment when they went over test results and they determined my Dad now needs 24/7 care. That's a lot for my mom to handle all on her own and us siblings are united in the task of helping as much as we can. There is evidence of hydrocephalus on his MRI which may mean that a stent to drain the fluid would substationaly reduce his symptoms. Meeting with the neurologist will be the next step and hopefully I can go to that appointment, too. 

I went to our annual book club garden party without my mom which was sad- she wanted to stay home with my dad. But I'm glad I went. Rayleigh wants to be tested for neurodivergency as well, so I talked to Annique a little bit about that. The food was excellent and we had a great discussion by the fire. I love that night each year with book club. Everyone missed my mom. 

I was also fortunate to go to dinner in Laguna with Richel and Jacqueline! It was a gorgeous night and the food was so yummy! We went to Tango off Forest. I ran into Cecily on my way to dinner and I loved the brief time I got to catch up with her and give her a hug. I love the Flora family!!! We stayed and talked until the stars were bright overhead and I'm so thankful for my life long friends who bring so much meaning and depth to my life. 

I'm also thankful for new friends- the Rondo moms! We went out for tacos for Shannon's birthday and had a "favorite things" exchange. We all left with full bellies, full hearts, and full bags full of new treats! We laughed and talked and sang to Shannon and it was such a fun night. 

Tanner finally got a gig to do some recon on a building about to get shut down. He's hired as a consultant but when he got there, the staff wouldn't let him in! Hopefully he still gets paid! We've been walking together during soccer and enjoying hot tub time on Sundays. But I did got a UTI, unfortunately- probably due to stress, too much hot tub time, and sweaty clothes from all the crazy heat we've been experiencing. I was at school and worried that I'd have to walk out, but Tanner brought me some meds and I felt better by noon. Whew. 

So, as you can see, we've had our ups and down these past 2 weeks but 'tis life. We are happy and healthy (for the most part) and trying to keep peace in our lives doing all the things we know to do- sleep, eat good food, time relaxing together, walking and stretching, baths and hot tub time, talking it out, serving each other, and being forgiving. 

I gotta say, I really do miss Parker more now than ever and wish he was here with me (and the rest of us). I wish he could be living at my parent's house and could help out with my dad. He could cook meals for my dad, watch movies with him, and doing the heavy lifting that they are incapable of now. 

But I know we will be blessed by his mission and our support of him. I pray every day that Tanner gets a job that's rewarding, fulfilling and pays well. I pray my kids are watched over and protected. And I pray that the Lord will guide our steps and that we will do all that He needs us to do.




















*One of my kinders made me "a diaper" for me to wear. So sweet






Comments