Hawaii Part 5- Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls

Our last day in Hawaii was bitter sweet. As much as we missed our cute little boy we knew we'd miss the warm, humid air and beautiful beaches, too. We also learned that day that Tanner's grandma was extremely sick and probably going to pass away- Didn't make for a tremendously relaxing last day but we made the most of it. We took the top off our jeep, turned up our "Hawaii" song, and relished every little, last moment in paradise.

We had the most wonderful, spiritual experience serving in temple. It is a magnificent building and truly a House of the Lord. We took some pictures on the temple grounds the next day and even ran into a cute Vegas friend!





Courtney took this picture of us. We really are blessed beyond measure. :-)


Earlier that day we set off on an adventure to hike to one more waterfall- Maunawili Falls. On the way there we just happened to pass a Leonard's Bakery Truck! We'd been told not to come back to the mainland without trying one of their famous Malasada's and the day we went out looking for the actual bakery we found that it was closed! Doh! So we were stoked when we ran into this truck!



We were excited to set off on our adventure into the Rainforest but little did we know this would not be easy- Honestly, don't go chasing waterfalls, just stick to the river and the lakes (and the oceans) that you're used to.

The trees were huge and the bugs were plentiful. I took home many bug bite souvenirs. We felt like the ONLY ones out there!

It had been raining on and off all week so the trail was WAY muddy. It was almost like walking on ice- carefully so that you don't slip and fall on your booty.



Tanner was smart and picked up this walking stick....

Then we came to this bamboo forest- don't go in the bamboo forest.
Hint: It's the WRONG way.

Yep, we got lost. We were frustrated and tired. A short hike was now taking forever and there was no waterfall in sight. Tanner used his skills (and walking stick) to jump over a huge mud puddle and kept walking. I called out to him to help me but he's literally deaf and didn't hear me so I, despite my best efforts, stepped directly into the puddle- sinking ankle deep in thick mud. I'll admit it- I cried. Let me tell you, I would NOT have made a valiant pioneer. Not by a long shot. I was mad at Tanner for not helping me and when I starting really yelling he slipped and caked his whole behind in mud! We both couldn't help but laugh at that point.



We finally made it to the falls only to snap a picture and turn right back around.


The way back was faster. Mostly because we knew the way and we didn't care so much about protecting our shoes from the mud. Yep, those shoes did NOT make it back to Utah.

After getting cleaned up, packed up, and said our goodbye's to our beach we rode off into the sunset to the airport. Like I said, bitter sweet. We got to the airport plenty early which was good because our flight took off early before the President flew in and shut it down. The red eye left much to be desired but we were glad we could see our little boy early in the morning and spend the day with him.

Travis and Nicole deserve some sort of reward or something. The are angels! I was glad I could spend some time with them the day we picked up Parker. They came down to see us and take the kids to Chuck E Cheese. I also got to scan her and show her the precious baby in her belly! I know what it is but I'll let her tell you... :-)

Aloha!

Comments

Wendy McMillan said…
Oh honey, you are brave! That's no stroll like up to Waimea falls. Randy & his gf hiked Maunawili when they were here and he totally advised me not to come because of the mud and level of difficulty and I seem to remember it took a LOT longer than they said it would so maybe that's the experience everyone has. I'm sure the tears were mostly due to your mixed feelings about leaving and all the stuff happening to your family while you were here. So glad you had a blast and aloha until we meet again!