The First Week of February
Parker is in year round school and is "off track" the entire month of February! I am super stoked about this schedule. Sometimes I get burned out at the end of summer. I resort to lazy days in front of the TV which is the LAST thing I want to be doing with the kids. So, this 3 months on/1 month off routine is going to be great. I can easily plan a month's worth of adventures and it's nice to scatter the cost of field trips out as well. Since it's February there are a TON of free things to do and deals out there. Not to mention NO ONE at the beach. It's supposed to hit upper 80's this week so we are still getting some hot "summer" days to spend at the beach and pool even though it's still winter! Unfortunately, Parker came home from school on his last day with a cold. It's not at all a bad one but he NEVER gets sick so we have been trying to make sure we get to bed on time and drink plenty of water. I'm glad I don't have to keep him home from school for "sick days" and I can take care of him without him getting behind in school.
Speaking of school: I FINALLY had the chance to sit down with his teacher and see his classroom. With a school of 1300 kids I guess things get a little hectic around there. Plus, his teacher JUST had a baby. She was in no rush to meet with me because Parker is so awesome in class. She sat down with me and showed me his work. He has tested out of every first grade standard and she is recommending him to test for the GATE program next year (Gifted And Talented). She said his behavior is outstanding and his reading and writing superb. He is advanced in math and science and is a joy to have in class. Duh. ;-) So proud of my smart little bug.
Since Parker was sick and the baby was in desperate need of a nap, we didn't last long in church on Sunday. But I had to snap a picture of my hyper active toddler in her super cute dress. She melts me daily.
Monday was the first official day off of school! We went to the park in the morning and Parker made some super cool friends. We always enjoy a morning of fresh air and sunshine and I always feel like a good mom when I get off my big fat butt and take my kids to the park. We went to the library and had a nice session of "quiet time". We have quiet time when the baby is napping after lunch. I read my scriptures/Ensign while Parker reads and does his workbook pages. When we are both done with that, I let him play on the Ipad while I read a "fun" book. We quite like "quite time" together.
Monday was National Frozen Yogurt Day so we stood in line for an hour at Yogurtland to get some free froyo! We didn't mind standing in line but there were a few little girls who were obsessed with Rayleigh and seriously invading her personal space. She was a trooper.
On Tuesday we went bowling at the local bowling ally. Games were only $1.29 but after 3 games Parker was over it. We need to make more friends so he can play with some buddies. He was bummed that he didn't get any strikes or spares. Looks like we need to practice!!!!
The Cheering section!
That afternoon we drove up to Pasadena to the Kid's Space Museum. It's located RIGHT next to the Rose Bowl. The first Tuesday of every month from 4-8pm admission is free! We will for sure be going back! It was awesome! Parker could have spent ALL day there! Rayleigh mostly liked playing with the wood chips outside in the Physics garden....
Parker was thrilled to take advantage of the Lego robotic workshop!
Bees, Ew.
There were several free arts and crafts going on. Rayleigh preferred making a mess with the paint brushes and such....
"I will not sit still." Rayleigh- 15 mos.
"ILOVEWOODCHIPS!!!!!!!"- Rayleigh, 15 mos
Tanner, guiltily, left work a little early and met us at the museum for dinner. He's the best. Any chance we get to spend a little extra time together we jump on! The museum is like 10 minutes from his office so we got lucky!
Tanner drove him with Parker while I took Rayleigh. I was filled to the brim with happiness on that drive home. I have 2 happy, healthy kids and one miracle baby on the way. A loving, devoted husband and father to my children who works SO hard to make all of our dreams come true. A beautiful home to rest my weary head and create a safe haven for my family in this sometimes scary world. Sometimes it takes a quite car ride through LA to make you sit back and feel feelings. ;-)
On Wednesday we went to Laguna Hills for 2 days of fun! First stop was at Lisa's! I hadn't been able to sit down and catch up with her in WAY too long. Bishop started out as a hospital administrator and I remember many, many nights (I was a little too involved in her every day life- like obsessed with her and the kids) when Bishop Bob would be home after dinner but those kids were always so excited to see their Dad. They love and respect him regardless of his physical presence in their lives. That was because of Lisa. She too never complained. Not ever. Not one. single. time. She did it all and did with with grace. Her house was peaceful and clean. The kids were happy and healthy. And she always had a kiss and a hug ready for Bishop when he walked through the door. I am forever grateful for her example. I know some men have to work long hours and far from home to be successful at their jobs. My dad worked every single day from the dining room table. He was always there. But because of Bishop's influence in my life I've never batted an eye at Tanner's work schedule and because of Lisa's example I know how to be a loving, supportive wife. I'm not perfect but I sure am proud of Tanner and would not wish for him to work in any other capacity. I only want what's best for him and his career. Our success hinges on his success.
Anyhoo, not only was it a reunion of sorts with Lisa but we got to see our old dog,Cali, too! We asked Lisa if she wouldn't mind taking care of Cali when we moved to Utah to attended BYU. 3-4 moves later, Cali is more a part of their family than ours now but we love any chance to snuggle her. Rayleigh was soooooooo excited to see sweet Cali. And Cali was so nice to indulge Rayleigh with cuddle time.
After our visit with Lisa I took the kids to lunch at Del Taco. Their strawberry shakes are amazing. The kids love the play place and it's nice when we have it all to ourselves!
That afternoon, we picked up my mom and headed to Zoomars! I had a coupon and got a great deal! Rayleigh was in heaven chasing around all the animals. I got a LOT of eye daggers from other young moms who saw Rayleigh eating hay and carrots from the veggie tray used to feed the animals. A little dirt never hurt anyone! She's perfectly fine. What if we all lived on farms like we did 200 years ago?! The grandma's there all commented how kids need to eat more dirt now a days. ha ha The truth is, there's no way I can keep up with her running around shoving everything in her mouth. If it's edible, I let it slide. She always ends up spitting it all out anyway. Parker loved feeding the animals and playing with the other kids there. He's such a social guy- that's the hardest part for him being out of school. They rode the little train and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine! I'm so glad my mom could go with me! She's SOOOOOO busy with work and her calling and attending to her other kids that it's always a treat when I get that special one on one time with her.
After Zoomars I met Cami and the kids at the park and we stayed until it was dark just talking! The kids loved playing together and didn't want to leave! We couldn't believe how quickly the time flew by!
My parents had a date with some friends to see a play that night so we were on our own. I fed the kids and got them down to bed and was able to sit in the peace and quiet and read for a couple hours. It was nice. But I missed Tanner. Sleep overs at my mom's are fun but nothing beats being home with your hubby!
Thursday I thought my parents had to work in the temple so I planned on being at the beach all day but the temple is currently closed for cleaning and repairs so instead I took the morning slow and made sure Rayleigh got her nap before we headed down to 3 Arch Bay. We sure are lucky to have good friends who live there and can call us in the gate. I don't think anyone can quite grasp what this beach means to me. Anyhoo, we went for a nice walk to the park in the morning and the sun was shining so bright and it was sooooo warm! But as soon as we hit the coast it was sopped in! It didn't matter to us because we had the entire beach to ourselves! But it got a little chilly after a while. We played around and explored the tide pools. We walked the entire length of the beach and Rayleigh stayed out the water. Thank goodness! The water was sooooo calm- it would have been a perfect day to swim for her. But it was just too cold. The sunset on the way home was gorgeous though and we had a great time!
Making a "Rayleigh" face.
We recently read Island of the Blue Dolphins so I taught Parker what abalone were. I showed him how hard they stuck to the rocks and related how hard she must have worked to get them off. He tried to break one open as she would have done to get the meat out and dry it and he couldn't do it! I think it made him appreciate the natives who lived along the Channel Islands many years ago.
When Rayleigh was ready to go she just started walking up the stairs. So I gathered up our things and just walked up behind her. Sure it took us a half an hour to get up all those stairs but I was soooo thankful I didn't have to carry her! She's getting so big!
My buddy.
Friday was a stay at home day. We had plans to go to the aquarium but we were all so content to just stay put. I cleaned the house and did laundry and all of that good stuff. The baby took a great nap and I accomplished a lot on the phone too! It was nice! I also attempted to put Rayleigh's hair in a clip for the very first time. Her hair is finally starting to grow!
I guess it's time for another baby...
Fishy Faces
Parker is pretty good about making his bed everyday and most days he has some sort of cool theme going on. This bed might look like a mess but it's actually a whole entire town. He's done this a few times with different lay outs. He also hid things in his pillows and left a note for us to "look inside" to see the surprise. During Christmas time he frequently made a nativity scene on his bed. I love his creativity!
Before our Saturday errand running (after a delicious breakfast a la Tanner and while we were getting ready) Tanner turned on Finding Nemo for Rayleigh and she was entranced!
Daddy in the shower! Hi Daddy!
On Saturday we just cruised around town. We went to Home Depot, Home Goods, TJMaxx, Michaels, the Hot Tub Store and got lunch. I took Parker to a baptism while the baby napped. We went to the grocery store and got a pizza for dinner. We watched a movie and by the end of the day realized we much prefer Saturday Adventures to errand running.
Rayleigh always looks sooooooooo beautiful in her Sunday best! I wish I could dress her up like this everyday! Here is the baby bump- 30 weeks! Rayleigh- 16 months.
After church and chicken and rice we took the kids to the park to get their wiggles out. Rayleigh barely makes it through sacrament meeting before I have to take her home for a nap. And the weather has been so beautiful. We enjoyed running around in the fresh air together!
The boys got some toy planes at the hobby store and the baby loved watching them fly at the park!
She's everything I dreamed of. And more.
We did the whole bedtime routine early so Tanner and Parker could eat popcorn and watch a movie together. By 7:50pm everyone was in bed and the house was clean and quiet! Woo hoo! Got to gear up for another fun filled week!!!
Adventure is out there!

Comments