End of the School Year Performances and Other Good Times
The day after we got back from Costa Rica, Rayleigh and Jack had Open House at their school and it seems like every day we had a big event. Soon after visiting Rondo, meeting with their amazing teachers and walking the halls of their incredible school, there was a horrific school shooting in Texas. What a frightening world we live in. I'm grateful for Rondo and all it does to not only teach and enrich our children, but protect them as well. Tanner and Parker had MCO so I took Rayleigh, Jack, and Ella and they LOVED showing off their classrooms. Rayleigh hugged everyone she saw and was glowing with pride. Jack was "Mr. Popular" and everywhere we went we heard someone yell, "Hey Jack! Hi Jack!" Both of their teachers worked so hard to make sure their classrooms were decorated nicely and that the students' work was showcased. We even walked down to the kinder classrooms and let Ella see Mrs. Kliss. She had baby chicks in her room and the kids fell in love! We had a little bit of a frustration getting Ella transfered over to Rondo, but it all worked out- thankfully!
Also, while we were gone, Parker was able to attend the temple with the Young Men. I'm so proud of him for going to the temple weekly and being worthy to enter. We recently had Stake Conference and Erika, my friend who takes the youth group on Friday mornings to the temple, recounted this story of Parker's remarkable service in the temple right before the world shut down.
"God knows each of us and our needs. I think it is easier for me to see how the Lord knows me, but being in the temple has allowed me to see how he knows others.
One such example of this happened on the morning of March 13, 2020. For those of you keeping track, that was the day the major COVID restrictions began. We were literally some of the last people to serve in the temple before the closures.
When we got to the temple that morning we found a woman by herself who had some names and wondered if she could join our group. While we were usually there with just our group, this wasn’t completely uncommon, and we were happy to let her join us. She
stood in proxy for the female names she had, and one of the young men with us (PARKER!!!!) stood in for the male names.
While doing confirmations, she stopped the recorder after one of the names and told us… 'That was my dad. He died some time ago. I’ve had his work finished for a while, but I haven’t been able to get a brother to do his work for me. This morning I felt like I should just come to the temple and it would work out. So I did. And you all
were here. I had no idea how I would get this done, but I came, are you were here to do it.'
Several hours later the temples were closed for months. That was a powerful witness to me that the Lord knew her, He knew her father and his readiness, He knew we (PARKER!!!!!) would
be at the temple that morning, and He knew what was about to happen in the world."
Rayleigh LOVES going to Activity Days and her leaders are so good and kind. I worry so much about these girls and the way they treat my precious daughter. I pray every day Rayleigh will be a light to all around her and a pillar of strength even in the midst of adversity. She is a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure! When Tanner and I were watching Top Gun, I realized Rayleigh and Maverick have sooo much in common. Brilliant, brave, strong and do the right thing (sometimes in the "wrong" way) But when you give them the chance to fly, they achieve the impossible.
Ella loves to pick flowers and make little arrangements. I found this next to my bed one day.
Rayleigh and her beautiful teacher, Mrs. Arce
Jack and his newly married teacher, Ms Mitchell (Scott)
When we got home from Costa Rica, I noticed Tara (our babysitter) didn't take her card with the cash in it! So we got her some flowers and brought her the money. I will forever be so grateful for her service to my family!!!!
On Saturday, Rayleigh had her piano recital. She was so cute and wanted to make sure everyone there had a program. She did a fantastic job and then we rushed out of there to make it on time to Ella's dance recital!
Ella danced ballet to the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
Rayleigh's performance was on Sunday afternoon and she did great! Both girls LOVE being on stage! She danced with her little acro class to "Little Red Shoes"
Here's Jack: the middle child who isn't signed up for anything. Sorry Jack. Just so you know, Jack, the guilt I have over this fact keeps me up at night even though you are perfectly content.
She would NOT hold still for a picture
I love when these cute kids display their creativity! This is Ella putting her animals to bed in my bed
Jack making a house in the shed- he made a PS5 and a controller and a headset too!
Parker, Ella, and I had one last Disney day before our passes are blocked for the Summer. Parker and I had a realllllly good talk. He has a way of explaining his feelings to be with such maturity- I really admire that about him! We were aggravated with each other at first. But we definitely ended on a high note together!
You can see on our faces that we were NOT in a good place here- Ella is hiding behind that lady.
Wednesday was a CRAZY day. Kim and Monte flew in from Idaho for the Friday night MCO concert (which was cancelled but they decided to come anyway). I was supposed to pick them up from John Wayne but their flight was delayed. I wasn't able to pick them up and be home on time to pick up Rayleigh and Jack so Tanner left work (and an important meeting) early to pick them up. He was running late and kept asking me which terminal his parents were, complaining that he couldn't find them. Well, of course he couldn't. He was at the wrong airport. So he had to race down to OC from Ontario and on the way he hit a big piece of metal and busted his car royally. He. Was. Mad. It was vvverrrryyyyy awkward that night with his parents. I made dinner for everyone before I had to leave for Relief Society and it was like walking on eggshells. I'm just glad he's alive! It could have been much worse but he's still very upset.
That night, I was in charge of our Relief Society. We combined with the other ward so at least I wasn't alone- I had my friend Lauren with me. We hosted 4 service projects with the theme "You are 'Kneaded'" and we handed out bread for the refreshments. One service project was collecting baby girl items for the Afghan refugee who I scanned. We collected so much stuff! We also made cards for the victims of the Texas school shooting and I think it was a great way for us to process the trauma. When we engage in a good cause, it works wonders for our hearts and minds. We also did some indexing and crochet "Grandma Squares".
Another fun Activity Days meeting! They made bracelets.
While Kim and Monte were here, Monte worked so hard on all kinds of projects- not the least of which was building Rayleigh and Jack a brand new bunk bed! It was time they each had a tiny bit more privacy and Jack likes to read at night- so now he can use his little book light and not keep Rayleigh up. He fixed some sprinklers, the garbage disposal/sink, changed the house filters, tightened up the washing machine and made us pancakes every morning! Tanner and Parker had a long rehearsal on Thursday night so they barely got to see Tanner. But they were able to sneak into the Friday night rehearsal and that made Tanner really happy.
On Saturday, Tanner took Parker to Christ Cathedral early for a special youth rehearsal. This weekend began an epic Youth Tour. So they were both gone all day. I got a babysitter, dropped Kim and Monte off at the airport, and was on my way to meet my mom and Dad at Magianos when I got a call that she had fallen down. My Mom wanted to call and ambulance but my Dad said they would wait for me. 10 agonizing minutes later I walked in there like a boss holding my HOAG first aid kit. My parents were walking into the restaurant to wait for me to pick them up for the 5:30 MCO concert when she stepped out of the way on the walkway to let someone pass and lost her footing in the river rock next to the paved path. She busted her head and needed 10 stitches but thankfully, nothing else was hurt or broken. She didn't even get a black eye! I assessed her, counseled with Brother Bob who angelically answered my call, and my Dad and I took her to Saddleback. When we arrived, they only let my Dad inside the hospital with her, so I waited outside and texted Cami, Jon, and Josi. Mom was pretty scared and had been shaking. She was in a lot of pain and was going in for a CAT scan so I wanted to make sure someone was there to take care of her when she was released from the hospital. She was adamant that I made it to the 8:30 MCO concert. I was sure they would give her some strong pain meds and maybe even something to ease her nerves. I was certain she would be in pain and loopy. But she pulled through like the warrior she is! She didn't even get a black eye! She hosted Book Club last night and is serving in the temple today. THEN my parents are attending Savi's Highschool Graduation! She is a trooper and my Dad is such a stellar support! They made a great team. AND today is my Dad's 80th birthday!!!! But we'll have more on that later....
Josi was sick with the stomach flu (the worst!) But Jon was able to pick up Cami, grab some Jack-in-the-box, and be there for my Mom when she got home.
Since we missed the 5:30 show and I didn't have a ticket to the 8:30 show, Tanner was able to pull some strings for me and get me a VIP ticket. I got there just in time, sat in the back row center (best seat in the house, if you ask me). The concert was incredible. I was moved during each number. Chills and tears and so much love in my heart! The pride I had watching Parker sing was immeasurable. He and Tanner are 2 completely opposite performers. Parker is so serious and chill. Tanner is.... theatrical. It was an amazing experience being in Christ Cathedral and "Be Still My Soul" took my breath away. We had a moment of silence for the kids in Texas and to be honest, being there alone was just what I needed. The stillness, the solitude... it's something I don't allow myself very often. Parker had a blast and Tanner is his true self when he's with MCO. He didn't care about his broken care or about work. He was all smiles and filled to the brim with happiness. They worked so hard to prepared for this momentous night and it did not disappoint.
Parker was chosen to hold a banner and looked like a total boss standing there- hope of Israel. Youth of Zion.
As we were leaving, the fireworks at Disney were going off! I felt badly for not having flowers or something to congratulate Parker. But I got him some late night Wendy's and I think that was just what he wanted.
Everyone was exhausted on Sunday but Parker and I got up and made it to church (almost) on time. I let Tanner bring the kids later. I loved listening to the speakers and sitting in RS. I don't know what people do without church! Parker loves church so much, he stayed to attend the other ward AND their after church song practice!
I took some senior pictures- love how they turned out! And then took Parker back to Newport for a special MCO Youth Fireside. They had a BYU religion professor speak to them about the 12 tribes of Israel and Parker LOVED it.
Monday was Memorial Day and Tanner and Parker woke up early to set up flags for his summer camp fundraiser with church. Tanner and I went and saw the new Top Gun and it was soooooo good!!!!!! We both loved it but for sure Tanner loved it the most. We did chores and they took down the flags in the evening. It was a nice day. I wish we had better Memorial Day traditions. I'll have to work on that....
On Tuesday, Parker, Ella and I got up early and headed down to Huntington Beach for a special MCO Youth Tour music video recording. It was nice to have a beach day with Ella but Parker was fried and super hungry after he was done with the shoot so we decided to go home. He was supposed to stay for the MCO bonfire/fireside but he chose to go to the Stake activity that night instead. Could I BE more proud of Parker!? He's a stud. And I love these special mornings just me and Ella. The time is running out on our quiet times together- just the 2 of us!
My Mom found this hand knit sweater that Muzzie got for Josi in Iowa on her way to visit when Josi was born. I wore it too. And now Ella is wearing it! So precious!
Life is busy and I was feeling really resentful of that fact. I'm as busy as I want to be (besides having 2 callings- I asked to be released from my Stake Calling). And I absolutely LOVE my life! I am so incredibly blessed and so proud of all my family is accomplishing. My kids are bright and beautiful, doing so well in school, and loving all those around them. We have fun plans for the month ahead and I'm so excited for the Summer. Sure, there is room for improvement but I can't wear my busy-ness like an albatross. Instead, I should wear it like a badge of honor- we are working hard, playing harder, and serving all along the way. Sure, I need to wake up early and hit the gym and read to the kids more consistently at night. But those changes are in the works and we are about to simplify with the onset of Summer. So in conclusion, being busy is a privilege and I'm happy to live such a rich and full life with the best family that's ever walked the face of the Earth!

































































Comments