Dad's Birthday, Book Club, Blessings, and Emily's Baby Shower
After Monday's life altering events, it was hard to pretend that everything was normal on Tuesday. We all slept in and Tanner found it profoundly strange that he was expected to just get up and go to work. But we all soldiered on. I sent a "heads up" note to each of the kids' teachers just in case the kids wanted to talk about Della's drowning- and they did. I'm thankful for good teachers who take the time to care. In between picking kids up from school, I stopped by Cafe Rio to have a little birthday lunch for Erika. My heart was pounding as I sat there with my friends wanting so badly to lay on them the trauma I was carrying. But I was sorely disappointed when their reactions and sentiments were anything but comforting. Courtney was a sweetheart, though. And I know my friends have good intentions. But I left feeling so sad.
But that evening, I was able to attend my Stake public relations meeting and receive a priesthood blessing as I was set apart for my calling. Several times was mentioned that I would have my righteous desires fulfilled as I continue to faithfully serve the Lord. That really made me think about what my righteous desires are. Peace in my family, health and safety, a full recovery for Della, and for Tanner to "earn all the money" so we can pay off our debts and help build up the Kingdom of God. My blessing also mentioned that the lord is social and he loves sociality. He wants us to unite and gather. He knows I can nurture those under my supervision and empower them. He once again blessed me that my righteous desires will be fulfilled, my life will be blessed and balanced and I seek His will, and that I will be healthy and strong. My children and husband will be blessed and I will be blessed as a wife and mother to be able to handle all that is on my plate and my burdens will be light.
I really needed that blessing and I am so thankful for it!
Wednesday was my Dad's birthday so after school and dance and all that my day encompasses, I went down to Laguna and took my Dad out for dinner at Ruby's. Nothing beats those Oreo shakes! It was so nice being together 1:1 with my parents and spending time with my Dad on his special day. It's a privilege I don't take lightly. My Dad is my rock. He's the most extraordinary example to me of strength: physically, spiritually, and emotionally. He always makes me feel like I'm the most special person in the world. Just like a dad should do for his little girl. I am so lucky to be his daughter.
After dinner, I attended my mom's book club. She didn't come because she wanted to spend time with my Dad on his birthday. But we sat outside at the park under a beautiful jacaranda tree. It was the very first time we'd met together in person since Covid and it was so wonderful! I especially loved talking with Annique about Della and about the vaccine. She gave me a lot of light and hope and I love her for that!!!!
Thursday, the kids all had school and Parker finally got his expander removed out of his mouth. Yay! Parker had to miss MCO because I'd planned our Relief Society progressive dinner on a Thursday way back when everything was still shut down. Now that things are opening up, everything falls on Tuesdays and Thursdays! But he was a good sport and ONCE AGAIN watched the kids for me at night so I could fulfill a responsibility. The progressive dinner was super fun and Jill mentioned how nice it was to be together with just me and Courtney. Maybe I'm not the only one feeling dragged down by our other friends. Setting boundaries is hard.
On Friday, Parker was able to go hang out at Jill's and it was nice to sit down and chat with her for a little bit. The kids are doing so well in school and are loving it. They love being with friends and pray for their teachers every day on the way to school. Parker, once again, babysat so Tanner and I could go to dinner with Courtney, Robby, Jill, and Paul. Tanner and I were exhausted but excited to be out with friends. Tanner's car is breaking so he rented a Tesla while his car gets fixed which he is pretty happy about. But when we got to dinner, Robby wanted to talk about all kinds of conspiracy theories and Tanner and I kept touching each other's legs under the table in secret code to say, "What in the actual hell?!?!"
Saturday was such a good day. I woke up and drove down to my Mom's and we attended Emily's baby shower together. It was an absolutely beautiful day made even more so by being in Lisa's exquisite home. All the windows and doors were open and you could feel the cool ocean breeze and see all the way out to Catalina. I always cherish my time spent in the walls of the Braithwaite home. There is something extra special about being there. The baby shower was adorable and the food was yummy! I told Emily that I am a doula now and she legit wants me to come be with her in the hospital! Yay! That will only work if she decides to take her law school classes virtually next semester and deliver at HOAG where he Dad is the president. Seems like a no brainer to me but Emily is ever the thoughtful one.
After the beautiful baby shower, Tanner met me at the Shops and we had lunch at Cheesecake Factory with Jana and Jake! It was soooo good to see her after so many years! These last 2 years in Germany were NOTHING what they expected them to be, but they certainly made the most of it and I'm so proud of her! She brought me back a cow bell that I'm going to use to call my family down for dinner and I love it! She's the best! I can't wait to spend more time with her this summer! Jake talked at length with Tanner about his career and I glowed with pride as I sat back and listened to Tanner. He really is quite impressive. How did I get so lucky!
Sunday was another wild day but in all the best ways. I was asked to teach Junior Primary (as if 2 callings isn't enough). I was happy to do it, though. After Tanner and I both bore our testimonies, I taught the kids about how we can try to be like Jesus. I had fun props and we played games and sang songs. It was a great time but I was sweating! Teaching primary is so physical! And masks be damned! There was no way I could teach with such enthusiasm being inhibited with a mask. We came home and enjoyed our chicken n rice before I headed out to scan a young mom in my ward who is expecting again (it's a girl!). Christine wanted me to scan her leg, too. But she encouraged me to be home with my family instead (such a sweet friend). I picked up my table that I'd lent to Cheryl for the RS activity and she was so kind to me and even gave me a little thank you gift. I love my ward family! We swam in the pool and cleaned up the yard and enjoyed the most relaxing Sunday evening.
This morning, Jack asked me where babies come from. I said, “When a man and a woman love each other very much, the man plants a seed inside the woman and inside her belly, a baby grows!” Then he said, “Hey mommy, what if you wore gloves for your entire life so your hands couldn’t grow and when you grew up, your hands were still small like a baby’s.”
Never a dull moment in this crazy, wonderful life we have! I am so extremely blessed and so happy. I love Tanner with all my heart and am so eternally thankful for my 4 perfect children.
But maybe I can have a few night's home this week to veg out and watch shows..... :-)






















Comments