Thanksgiving 2021

Whelp, the kids had a super fun Thanksgiving. But I did not. Jon's house is under renovations and I offered to host but he insisted. I think he was majorly stressed because instead of being a gracious and happy host, he was mean and seemed super stressed and miserable. He yelled at Jack (and Gunnar- but he pointed his finger at Jack) for being noisy and he yelled at James when he was having a hard time with Jon moving the table and chair he was sitting on. He miss counted place settings so I had nowhere to sit and he asked us to come 3 hours before dinner was actually ready. He didn't want anyone inside until it was time to eat so we tried to keep ourselves entertained outside. I brought a TV screen and the Apple TV, markers and paper for drawing using ArtHubKids and the microphone to do karaoke. Nothing worked. It was all a big failure. I was in charge of drinks and although I tried really hard to magnify my calling, he asked Cami (on the group text) to stop by the store and get more drinks...? Brody was a brat to Rayleigh and made her cry and Tanner had to take her for a walk around the park until she felt better. Then she was holding a toy during the prayer and I heard her whisper, "Stop!" so I looked and saw Brody trying to pry it out of her hands like a little bully. When the prayer was over, he yanked it from her and told her she had to go inside. Her poor little face was so sad. When she had to go to the bathroom, she let me know and then went upstairs but Jon didn't want anyone going up there (???) so he followed her up there! Creepy!!!!! I, of course, was right behind him and all he said to me was, "Ummm, Ella's feet at filthy black." So I awkwardly picked her up and just stood there until he walked away. I was on the verge of tears alllll day. It was the worst. Tanner was on the phone or somewhere else for the first hour but then he stepped up and supported me, which was really nice. 
THE KIDS LOVED BEING THERE and they won't remember any of these sad times like I will. Jack played with Gunnar and had a blast on Jon's little motorcycle thing. Parker was happy to be with his big cousins... To be fair, everyone agreed with me that Jon was out of control. But that doesn't make the fact that he ruined Thanksgiving any better. Luckily, I bought a chicken pot pie and 3 deseret pies and we were set when we got home and were hungry.

The best part of the day was when we went to Fashion Island to see the big Christmas tree- the first tree of Christmas! It's one of my all time favorite traditions and I was so happy to be there with my little family. The kids were sooooo happy too and it filled my heart.
Even though Thanksgiving was kinda the worst, there is so much to be thankful for. We have a beautiful home filled with wonderful memories, a healthy, happy family with so many friends and parties, we can hardly keep up! 
Above all, we have the knowledge that this life is a testing ground and our celestial glory lies in wait. We have a Savoir who is our older brother and counselor in all things who shows us the way to eternal happiness and joy. We have a living Prophet who leads and guides us from the watchtower, providing us a safeguard from any and all troubles and terrors which abound today. I have 2 healthy parents whose love is overflowing and abounding for me- their unconditional love and support of me is the kind of comfort I wish and pray for MY own kids. My children are the crown jewels I am so dearly proud of. I love them with allll my heart and soul. They bring my life meaning and majesty. And of course I'm thankful for Tanner- for all the ways he's devoted to me and the kids.
Yes, life is hard. It's full of disappointments and discouragements. But there is also so much light and hope! And next year, who knows, maybe we'll skip going to Jon's for Thanksgiving!!!!!












































Trying to do Yoga like the poster in the background...





When we got home, the kids all took baths and then they got their new Christmas pajamas! We read the Wizard of Oz and ended on a high note! We finished the book on Saturday night and watched the movie after church on Sunday. I love that they will cuddle with me and read chapter books now!




 

Comments