Crystal Cove
About a week ago, Jon texted me that he had Friday night booked at Crystal Cove and asked if I wanted to take it. At the time, I wasn’t sure what our plans were for Uncle Rob’s funeral. But it turned out that Kim was being disagreeable and Monte called Tanner and advised him to visit Idaho alone and not bring us all along. That hurt my feelings and I was sad to miss out on family time- and really felt badly for my kids who wouldn’t get that precious time together with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. But Tanner seemed to agree with his dad so I booked his solo flight up to Idaho and I told Jon we’d take the cottage.
Tanner flew home from Miami late Thursday night, I went to work on Friday morning (didn’t see Tanner), pulled out the kids early from school and loaded the car to head to Newport, and as we were pulling out of the garage, Tanner pulled up. He quickly unpacked his suitcase and repacked a backpack for his quick weekend trip. We are truly 2 ships who pass in the night.
But the cottage at Crystal Cove was amazing. I met Jon and the girls there and we stayed together chatting and watching the sun go down. After that, I made the kids dinner, we played Uno, I took a luxurious bath in the clawfoot tub, and read Anne of Green Gables to the kids as they fell asleep. It was so fun catching up with Jon and hearing all about his recent trip to Rome with Laura. And the kids loved playing with their big girl cousins who were SO sweet and looking so gorgeous.
I fell asleep in a nice warm bed with the windows open to the sounds of the sea. It was glorious! The cottage was RIGHT on the beach, closer than I’ve ever stayed to the ocean (besides camping) and have the coziest, comfiest vibes. The kids woke up around 7am and giggled as they played uno and dominos and ate cereal. They quickly ran out to the beach to play and made friends with a little boy and little girl who were staying right next to us. They built an amazing teepee from drift wood and pretend played ALL DAY. I had to tear them away for a lunch break at the Beach Comber and to tell you that my cup was full would be an understatement. These kids, with their home made sea grass bracelets, sand in between their fingers and nose, sun kissed on their noses and cute contented smiles was enough to send me straight into a state of bliss.
They played on the beach and I sat and relaxed and marveled at their creativity and friendliness until the sun started to go down. I bribed them with Shake Shack and we took the long, leisurely stroll back up to the car.
Parker was stoked to have us home so he could have friends over and use my car. He’s stayed home in an attempt to hang out with friends but they all ditched him on Friday night. So he was so happy to hang out on Saturday and had a great time.
I’m so grateful for our magical time away at the Crystal Cove Cottage and so thankful to my brother for offering it to me. It was just what I needed. Being on the beach with my kids is my absolutely favorite thing in the whole wide world. 24 hours of uninterrupted beach time was relaxing and medicinal. I loved it and I can’t wait do it again!






















































Comments