Chicago 2024

 I’ve had this trip planned to Illinois for a few years. I wanted to take the kids to see my Aunt Marie and Uncle Ronny, to see where my mom grew up, the Hotel Baker, the Fox River, and have a Ferris Buhler day in the city. I used our flight vouchers from American Airlines to book our trip- just me and the littles and my mom. Parker wanted to take a pass and Tanner couldn’t commit. But a week before we left, he decided he wanted to come with us. His ticket was pricey but he only took one day off so he wouldn’t miss much work.

Well, it turns out non of that mattered because he got fired from Rockwell the day before we left. We’d already checked in for our flight and everything. Basically, a close friend of Vangie’s thought Tanner was being rude in a few occasions: once when Vangie threatened to cut bonuses (which is ultimately why she let him go, probably- because they don’t want to pay bonuses) and once when they weren’t paying their vendors and Tanner had to raise a fuss to get Rockwell to pay. Anyhoo, he’s unbelievably sad and anxious about it all. Which is understandable. But, he’s going to start his own company and run his own buildings. So we are excited for this new venture!

We left on Saturday and the travel day was easy. When we were landing, a little baby was crying so hard and sounded so sad. Her little ears probably couldn’t pop. But my heart was breaking for her and her parents. So I bowed my head with Ella and said a prayer that His holy angels would comfort her and no sooner than I said amen, they baby calmed down. What a sweet miracle.

We picked up Charlie Fox Pizza, checked into a cute Airbnb, and settled in. Sunday, we met my Aunt and Uncle at church and then spent the day with them at my grandparent’s house.
Tanner and I took the kids on a walk through Innisfree and chatted about our dreams for his future company. Marie made us a lovely dinner. We ate in the dining room and I was so proud of the kids’ manners. They were so polite! We had chicken n rice and mashed potatoes ans Muzzie’s famous jello with mandarin oranges. The kids played quietly while we sat around the table and talked and after everything was cleaned up, we played cards. It was a perfect day.

My Dad was sick with a cold when we left and Parker stayed with him so neither of them would be alone. They went to church together, watched movies, Parker helped my dad with some stuff and he took Parker to Kings for dinner on Monday… they had a great time. But my mom ended up with my Dad’s cold. Poor thing.

Monday, my mom spent the day with Ron and Marie.  They got lunch and saw some Fox Valley highlights. Tanner and I took the kids into the city but we were in a pickle when Verizon had a massive outage and we were without cell phone service most of the day. It was crazy.

But we made it to Chicago and started off in Millennial Park. We saw the Bean and enjoyed the city views before heading into the Art Institute. There is a cool room for kids/families where they can do some hand on art activities and then make their own scavenger hunt to see famous pieces of art throughout the museum. Jack was the most into it. When we got to the Impressionist week with all of the Monet’s, he was sooo filled with joy. He hugged me over and over, told me he loved me and that “this was the best day ever!” He wanted to take a picture with each piece of art. What happiness and satisfaction it brought ME to see him so fulfilled by seeing and experiencing this art!

The kids loved the scavenger hunt and a couple hours into it we took a break for lunch. We got pizza, sandwiches, and homemade Italian ice from a place down the street and it was soooo good and the people working there were soooo nice. It was a highlight! Then back to the museum to see the Thorne Rooms and the Chagall windows. What a day!

We then walked down to the stop for the water taxi. It was $100 for us all to ride the 30 minute round trip, but it was worth it. It’s so great to see the city from that vantage point and on the way back, we had the boat to ourselves and could really let loose.
We walked back to the car, (a very pretty walk, Chicago is so clean and there are flowers everywhere) and then drove along Michigan Ave to see the lake and wave goodbye to Navy pier. Jack was like, “Wait! There’s more???? I want to go to all of those museums!!!” So, I guess we’ll have to go back!

We got Tanner to the airport early because there was a chance he could give up his seat and fly home with us on Wednesday. We waited for him in the cell phone lot but it didn’t work out. He was very sad. He did not want to go home alone and face the daunting reality. I encouraged him to not waste a day, to get his feet on the ground and make his dreams happen! And he did. He’s making great progress already. He’s so smart and capable, I know he’s going to be fine!

Tuesday was our last full day and we had a nice, slow morning and then took a little tour of St. Charles and Geneva. My mom and I took the kids to the Hotel Baker and it was so wonderful being able to show the kids that integral part of our family’s history. We drove by the house where my mom grew up and past her high school. She told us stories and reminisced about her idyllic childhood. The Fox Valley really is a charming place to raise a family.

We ate lunch with my Aunt Marie at the Little Traveler and it was so cute and fun with the little tea tables and the sky light and the yummy sandwiches. They kids gobbled up with food and then we strolled around the shops before grabbing ice cream and chocolate for dessert at Graham's. Yum.

We then headed to my cousins Rondo’s sprawling 15 acre property and received a private tour by the man himself. The kids ran around the tree farm and the 12000sqft garage filled with a million vehicles. So cool! I wished Parker was with us but he was working in San Diego and then spent the evening watching The Princess Bride with Emerald. So he was happy.
We ended the afternoon at Rondo’s shop getting cool Rondo swag and seeing Jimmy, his son. We grabbed Jane and Ben, my Aunt and Uncle and had dinner together at this hot dog place called Portillo’s. It was sad to say goodbye to everyone. I hope we can come back and spend more time together. Jack would love to explore more of the city and see more museums.

We are now flying home and despite our efforts to expedite the travel with nonstop flights and such, it’s still pretty much an all day affair. I’m excited to be home and creating a new future with Tanner. I know this is the right move at the right time. He’s ready and hungry and I know he’s going to be successful.

Tomorrow is Rayleigh’s birthday! She’s going to be 11! This year will be full of growing up, I know. She is such a light in my life and I’m so thankful for every day I’ve had with her and look forward to all she will do to shine her light in the future.
For now, we won’t be doing too much traveling. We’ll get Parker up to Idaho for college, probably drive to Utah for the 4th of July… then his mission. But 2025 will be a year of tremendous  change for our family. And it’s going to be brilliant!























































































































































Comments