Work Retreat in Santa Barbara and Family Pictures

 The fun don’t stop! It was business as usual after all of the celebrations for Rayleigh’s 12th birthday. Tuesdays are our crazy day with Ray’s lacrosse and Jack’s soccer both at 5pm and then Ella’s soccer at 6:15 and Ray has mutual at 6:30. The pick ups and drop offs can be done with efficiency. But, I am exhausted at the end of the night. We are reading a really good book call the Astronauts Guide to the Galaxy written by a real life astronaut, Chris Hadfield. So it’s nice to snuggle up at night, throw a cozy fall screen saver on the TV, light a candle, and read together.

But on Thursday after work, Tanner and I drove to Santa Barbara for a work retreat! He spoiled me with McDonald’s nuggets and a crisp Diet Coke on the way there and we talked the whole time. We stayed at the Hyatt right on the beach and the room was HUGE. We pretty much went straight to dinner after we arrived and oh my goodness, it was incredible. The restaurant had a Michelin star and was called Stone House at San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito. Listen, next time I have $40 million, I will definitely be buying property up there. It was like a quiet, quaint, fairy land. I LOVED it. The restaurant itself was so beautiful with expansive gardens and twinkle lights everywhere. We had a set menu for our large group. But when I looked at the menu online, one appetizer was almost $400. So…. Ya. It was good. And we had a good time talking and laughing with Tanner’s colleagues.
That night while we were at dinner, they had the hotel staff deliver a huge Mindy Couture blanket and a box of Sees chocolate to each room! What?? Could lift BE any better?? Yes, yes it can. Because,
The next morning, Tanner woke up and went golfing at a world renowned golf course called Sandy something and I got a massage AND a facial at the hotel spa!! Luxury at its finest. THEN, I ordered a pina colada at the pool bar to take over to the beach to sip and enjoy the sunshine and the guy made me TWO! So there I was double fisting my fancy pants drinks with glowing skin and the most relaxed vibes as I sat on the beach. Heaven.
We went to dinner with a big group of admins and wives that night. Rare Society downtown. It was so cute and fun! The boys all sat together and the girls sat together. The food was delish but the girls all wanted to share and I realized I did not want to share and also… I’m old. I was the oldest one of the group. They were all talking about pregnancy and babies and co sleeping and attachment and I was like, “oh my gosh. This isn’t me anymore!” It was sad but I’m looking forward to gracefully entering this new phase of mid life.
We slept great that night and woke up the next morning, grabbed a yummy breakfast, and drove home to our messy house. Parker did a fantastic job taking care of the kids even though Ray thought she was abandoned at the high school after lacrosse practice and had to ask a mom to use her phone to call me and Tanner. Whoops!
BUT, he arranged for us to take family pictures in Dana Point. He laid out outfits for everyone and asked his buddy to come snap the pictures. We all got ready and drove to Dana Point and despite Jack throwing a HUGE royal fit and being extremely difficult (to the point of tears) we were able to get a few good pictures! Success! We dropped Parker off at Doheny for a party and Tanner and I took the kids out to eat at Costal Kitchen. Yummm. We need to not get used to this fancy pants life of eating out and being spoiled. We made a quick visit to my parents and then picked up Parker and went home.
It was so good to be home and the best part was, Rayleigh spoke in church for the very first time the next day! She did SO well! Public speaking is a gift of hers, for sure. She was clear and poised and so many people complimented her talk. We were so proud of her! We enjoyed a nice visit from the sister missionaries that night and wrapped up the weekend nicely.
Life is good!! I’m thankful for Tanner who works so hard to provide this beautiful life for us, a company who spoiled us on a luxurious retreat, and amazing kids who shine so bright and make me so proud! Love you all!




Mario Cart Contest at Synergy Rally


























Ella did her habitat project on penguins and did a great job!



































Comments