Last Week of Fall Break Fun
It's always sad when Parker has to go back to school after being off in October. We have so much fun and we get into a pretty good groove. At first, there is an adjustment with having him around- he tends to bug Rayleigh like non other and she does the same to him. But by the end of the month, everyone is getting along pretty well and he's a huge help to me. He cooks and cleans and helps with the babies, and we like to watch fun shows and eat yummy snacks when the kids go to sleep.
I wish I could wrap my head around home schooling. I feel like it's in my future but I get so discouraged when the little ones don't want to even sit for me to read them a story. How could I ever be a full time academic teacher for them on top of all my other responsibilities. It takes all my time and effort all day long to cook and clean and try not to be a monster to them in the process. Truth be told though, they are still too young to even go to school so maybe things will change in the next few years. And I'm really hoping we can take Parker out of school by Jr. high.
We thoroughly enjoyed our last week off track. We played and slept in, took lots of pictures, and went to Trunk or Treat and Sender City.
I wanted to capture the strength of little Ella's neck. She is determined to be a big girl and I don't like it one bit. She was too tired to pose for pictures. But look at her gorgeous hair!
Rayleigh is a firm believer in the head hug. This is how she interacts with Ella most often. She wants to be completely ON her. She just loves her so much!!!! Such a good protective big sister.
Ella caught her first cold and it made me feel horrible. I felt like the worst mom in the whole wide world. I'm such a germaphobe that for her to get sick was a huge blow to me. I've never had a baby get sick this young and tiny. They are usually around a year old before the get their first stuffy nose. I pulled out my bag of tricks and she got over it in about a week. But her sad little stuffed up nose broke my heart!
It was over 100 degrees so Jill invited us over to swim but then she got pneumonia! So Courtney brought Kaelynn and Austin over to our house to swim. Even though it was so hot, the pool felt chilly and the kids were all big whiners about it. Ha ha Courtney and I sat out in the heat and talked while the kids came up with a bunch of different games to play like musical chairs. We had a pipe break near the street in front of our house and the yard has been flooded for about 2 weeks! The city finally came to fix it and turned off the water. They happened to come right when all these kids came to play- needless to say, it was kind of a crazy afternoon. I feel badly because the kids pick on Rayleigh. Parker is sometimes the one to start it which breaks my mama heart. I understand that kids can be cruel and little sisters can sometimes be annoying. But she needs him to be her defender and protector. She is still speech delayed and can't express herself as clearly as she would like. To belittle her because of that and in spite of it, is just plain mean. I'm hoping I can somehow teach Parker to set the example for his friends on how to treat Rayleigh- like the daughter of God that she is!
This girl LOVES the water. Every night when I give her a bath (and sometimes during the day too, for fun) she is happy as a little clam! Once this week I was having a melt down with the kids and decided to lock myself away and take a bath with her. It was the sweetest thing. She is just so yummy and happy.
On Wednesday morning, I woke up early and left the kids with Tanner to get my oil changed first thing. I wanted to accommodate him and be done before he had to go to work. Well, since work has been super stressful and plain unfair, he was in a hurry to get there and had to bring the baby to me and leave the other babies at home with Parker. I didn't want the baby sitting with me in the disgusting car place. But luckily it all ended well. Getting the oil changed in my car is actually quite the ask to achieve. Tanner didn't help matters. I explained to him that I was doing my best with the resources I have at my disposal and he quickly apologized, But let's just say I didn't start the day with a happy smile on my face. (also, the babies played in the garage while Tanner was in the shower- they were probably looking for me, and used a ball point pen to draw all over the side of Tanner's car.) So later that morning I loaded the kids in the car and drove them to gymnastics to play even though we were late. But when we got there, I discovered that Rayleigh had peed in her car seat! What??!?!?!? Well, now we had to go home because she can't run around the gym with a wet leotard! The baby was crying because she needed to be fed so we sat in the car while I fed her and Jack began to wonder why we weren't getting out. After I explained to him that we couldn't go to gymnastics today because Rayleigh peed in her seat, he got so upset! He screamed and cried so I fed the baby OUTside of the car. After a few minutes I just couldn't handle it anymore and put the baby in her car seat and started to just drive home. She wasn't done eating so she cried. Jack screamed. And I officially had fumes coming out of my ears. I kept telling Jack to be quiet but he ignored me. So I angrily pulled off the side of the road and yelled at Jack to be quiet or so help me, and grabbed the baby to feed her next to the car so I wouldn't have to listen to screaming kids. I cried. They cried. Basically everyone was crying. It was a total fail of a day. But after my nice warm bath with Ella and naps and a quiet talk to apologize and give hugs, we ended the day on a high note at the ward Trunk or Treat party.
Her hands..... I seriously can't handle the cuteness.
When it was time to get ready, Jack did NOT want to put a costume on. This was a battle I was not willing to fight because why would I? If the kid doesn't want to wear a costume, big deal! So I took a Sharpie and drew on an old white shirt. Problem solved.
Poor Jill was so sick and at this point had no idea she had pneumonia. She just kept thinking she would get better. Courtney looked fabulous. I love my friends.
Here we are, the whole fam-damily. Parker is a dabbing Pikachu. Rayleigh is an adorable kitty cat, and Jack is "Jack". Ella was sans costume this year.
I think it's adorable how Jack brought a sippy cup of water and a toy truck in his pumpkin pail. Only the essentials for this awesome 2 year old!
My crew checking out their candy haul!
My Mom has been in Chicago and I miss her! I'm so jealous of her midwestern adventure and so wish I could have gone with her! She has been seeing friends and spending lots of him with Uncle Ronny and Aunt Marie. Cousin Christa sent me a sweet email the other night feeling so closely bonded as an eternal family. She found this old picture of my mom and Uncle Ronny (bottom center) with Muzzie and Papa (second from Left) and my great grandparents! It's hard to fathom the posterity that I might have some day. I love my family and am so grateful for it's eternal promise. I am also so very thankful for the guilding light that my grandparents continuously provide for me.
On Thursday I purchased a Groupon to Sender City and took the kids for a morning of fun! I didn't think Jack was big enough (or was even interested) but our climbing guide asked if he wanted to try it and he said "Yes"! So she got him all geared up and helped him conquer a few climbs! He was stoked! Rayleigh did the blue tower about 20 times and had a total blast. She was totally in her element, strong and brave. She is such a rad girl- way cooler than I ever hope to be! Parker did awesome and was a great sport too! He's such a stud! Since we missed out on pizza the day before, we ran to Little Cesar's for a $5 pizza when we got home and everyone was happy! Mom for the win!!!!
I LOVE this picture. Ray would climb and sing or say "Suuuuper Rayleigh!" and then, when she would jump from the top she would say, "Tinkerbell!" So so so cute.
My kids.
They came, they sent, they are ready for pizza!
I've been trying harder to be present with my children. It's very very hard. This huge house and a family of 6 requires constant cleaning and organizing. At least, that's how it seems. I prepare and cook a meal, feed everyone, then clean it all up only to have to start the whole process again! Endless! I feel like I can be more present with them when we are out and about. Driving in the car gives me the opportunity to talk to Parker and give him my undivided attention. When we are out playing, I'm right there with them! But when we are at home- where we spend the vast amount of our time, I get distracted with messes to clean, phone calls to make, even blogs to post! I know it seems counter productive but I had to take a picture of us all playing together. Our "go-to" pretend game is "Cars". This day, the kids actually let me read to them for about a half an hour. It was glorious!!!
Parker is so sweet with Ella. They have such a lovely bond that warms my heart. He loves to make her smile and is always trying to get her to say "parker!" Her little tongue is always sticking out. So cute!
On Friday I accompanied Tanner on a lunch interview at Chili's with the company, Links. Audrey watched the kids and it was nice to get away. This opportunity is promising but would require a move to Bakersfield. Literally, the only reason I would consider it, besides the huge pay potential, is being close to Angel. She means THAT much to me! ha ha
Jack has been asking to hold Ella. It's adorable. Babies holding babies. I would not recommend having this many babies this close together. It's HARD. But I am so honored and thankful to be their mom. There's nothing I would trade for these days spent with them.
Goofy Rayleigh and her princess imagination.
Time is a precious thing. So easily wasted and undervalued. But when it's gone, it's gone forever. Tanner and I have been talking a lot about how to make better use of our time. A hand written note by Albert Einstein just recently sold for 1.3 million dollars. Some say it is the secret key to happiness and many believe it because after all, it was written by the most brilliant mind of all time. I, for one, agree with him and regard his idea as truth. It says,
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness."
Tanner and I are definitely finding ourselves in the latter. Poor Tanner has such a hard time finding real lasting rest and is truly constantly searching for success. Notice it's the pursuit and not the success itself. Sometimes I wish we could sell everything and live in a one bedroom house all together with the beach out the front door and the mountains out the back. With nothing but the sun and the moon to guide our days and nights. But alas, that's just a dream. But a dream worth pursing.





































































Comments