Rayleigh's 1st Week of TK

Dog days of Summer!
 We are coming off a serious "Summer High". We have been pretty busy with non stop activities but now that the 4th of July is over, it's all about getting ready to go back to school. But only for Rayleigh because we've decided to home school Parker and he won't start until after Labor Day. It's a good thing that Jill and Courtney are off track right now or else Parker would be seriously so bored. They have been taking him to the beach or the Cove Waterpark and Jill even braved the crowds at the mall for that special Build a Bear day but decided to turn around when she saw the mass hysteria! ha ha The poor kid watches way too much TV and when he gets really desperate for some entertainment, he annoys Rayleigh and Jack which is not so entertaining for the rest of us.
He has come up with a few creative ways to keep busy- he found our huge box of stuffed animals and made a big "habitat" area for everyone to play in. He also made a paper chain to count down to his birthday. Each chain has a daily craft for him to do. He came up with this ALL on his own. He had to plan, prepare, and organize a Scout activity, too. He had each boy create their own "Country" and color their country's flag and come up with 3 laws to govern their land. I thought that was a pretty spectacular idea. This kid never ceases to amaze me! We did some placement tests before we ordered our curriculum and he is definitely NOT in 5th grade. So it looks like we are skipping 5th and going straight to 6th!
But Rayleigh has been loving school! On the second day, I had my traditional "second day of school" talk with the teacher which is always incredible humbling, frustrating, and humiliating. She basically told me that Rayleigh was being defiant and not sitting "Criss cross apple sauce" like she was asked. The teacher threatened Rayleigh with a visit to the Principal's office and I left the "meeting" reeling and feeling like an utter failure. I talked it over with Tanner and some of my mom friends (Thank goodness for Bunco and Relief society meetings). Parent Information Night was a couple days later and thankfully, Tanner was able to meet me at the very last minute. We both spoke with the teacher and asked her about Rayleigh's speech therapy schedule to which she replied that she had no idea Rayleigh even had in IEP. So then my heart was crushed. The teacher, without knowing, was setting unrealistic expectations for my sweet baby Ray and making Rayleigh feel like she was "not good enough" and that her teacher "didn't like" her. Well, because Rayleigh LOVES school, her enthusiasm wasn't shaken and she was happy to run into school each day.  For that, I am tremendously grateful. I sent an email to her teacher, the Principal, her old teacher, her sunbeam teacher who is a speech pathologist (who has been invaluable this week), and of course, Tanner. I was kind but firm. And low and behold, would you believe that she began speech therapy on Monday! I'm glad she is now getting the care and understanding she deserves. I blanketed her with love and affirmation and affection all week to make up for the unfairness she experienced those first few days at school. She is doing great now and is always so happy to show me her "happy face heart" when I pick her up- that is the message from the teacher that she had a good day. And "dress like a cow" day for some free Chick Fil A was a nice reward for a hard day at school!
It's going to be an adjustment getting used to physically dropping her off and picking her up every day. I'll have to do this every day for the next 3 years and let me tell you, it's not fun. I'm going to try and leave early every day and listen to a podcast (I have to get there early so I can park relatively close to the school) and then make the most of my one on one time with her as we walk back to the car and drive home together. Thank goodness Parker is here to stay with Jack and Ella! I don't know what I'd do without him! Half the time, Ella is asleep! He's a lifesaver!
So, before school started, poor Jack was running a fever. We were experiencing a heat wave. Temps rose to 115 and Jack was shaking with chills. We all went swimming and he just wanted to be bundled up under warm towels on the hot cement- the ground was hot enough to burn your feet but it felt so good to him. It was just a 24 hour thing and he's fine now. But then poor Ella slept until 1pm a few days later. She was acting pretty lethargic and we were worried about her- taking all her vitals. But we think she just didn't sleep too well because she is teething and then we noticed a top side tooth (incisor?) pop out! It was kinda strange because usually kids get their center teeth before any side teeth. Anyhoo, it's NO fun with kids are not feeling well.
Last Saturday we were able to attend an open house to say goodbye to Abby who is going to Peru on her mission! I am so proud of her and it was so fun being in their beautiful new home and spending time with such good, dear friends. 

Stuffed animal land!

Making his paper chain


Poor sick Jack



It was so hot but Jack was freezing

Ella can swim!



I love summer nights!


I love my Abby!


First day of TK! New shoes and backpack!




It was total chaos at drop off but she was a champ!


Parker is so lucky to have such rad friends!


Free Kayaks!


Jack refuses to take a nap

We've had several earthquakes and even a random thunderstorm! What the heck?



Trying to resemble cows for free food....



Rayleigh, you are a sun beam! You make me so happy and proud!




Funny filters on my phone

Parker was peeking at us from over the wall and slipped and busted his head. He was howling in pain and when I looked over to see him, there was blood everywhere! He was pretty traumatized.


Shushi making with the Chinese sisters for our activity!




My friend Ivette has a clothing company and asked if I'd have my kids model for her. So fun!!!!





Ella turned 11 months on July 17th! She has 4 teeth and is not walking yet. Still takes 2 naps a day and I'm blessed to rock her to sleep in my arms 3 times a day. Snuggles forever!


My Mom hosted a little "cousins" get together last weekend and had Duane stay the night with her. We went to church with my parents (Jake Flora's farewell!) and I had to send this picture to Shelley of her dad on baby duty with Ella.


So fun to have Uncle Ronny in town!!!! He's the best!!!!





I could talk with my Aunt Marie for hours and hours straight. I cannot wait to make another trip to Chicago to see her and spend time with them!!!!



Made a huge batch of spaghetti sauce and taco meat to last me for a few months. Makes dinner time easy on busy days!




Sunset cruise for Liz Jergensen's surprise 40th birthday party! I LOVE being on the water. I want to live on a boat. Tanner talked with every other administer there while I awkwardly stood next to the cakes.






See? I literally sat next to the cake until it was sliced cuz I was not about to miss out on this!

More healthy meals since we stocked up at Costco. Yummmm Fresh mozzarella, peaches, and nectarines.

Taco salad
I'm anxious for Parker to receive his curriculum and to get started with schooling him. I am trying to get on a better routine but it's proving difficult.  We are putting first things first, though, with family prayer and scripture study. More of that in my life makes us all happier! Oh, and Carson left Madison Creek so now Tanner is running his building too! Please pray we survive and that we start seeing bonus checks!



Comments