Sisters Slumber Party at Mom's to Celebrate Cami's 50th Birthday!

A few weeks ago, at Wyatt's baptism, I asked Cami how she wanted to celebrate her big, special birthday. Without hesitation she said, "Girls weekend away!!!" She remembered our fun time in Vegas when Josi had just moved there and wanted to do something similar. With the world being what it is, my parents offered their home as a place to stay and a plan was born. 
We met at my parent's house on Saturday morning and spent a couple hours getting ready and just being together. Tragically, earlier in the week, our cousin Chris passed away and we were all grieving. It was good to be together and remember him. I made a charcuterie board and we laughed and giggled and enjoyed our first moments of "freedom".
We went to Dana Point and tried a new place for lunch called What a Dish. Kari met us and we enjoyed the BEST meal! It was sooo good! We talked as sisters do... so much is weighing us down lately with the passing of our dear cousin, unknown and discouraging challenges with school, and financial burdens. But we were still able to laugh along with some tears and cherish the time together.
After lunch, we drove up to Laguna Beach and grabbed some chocolate from the Chocolatier and stroll along Forest. We love walking through Tuvalu and we even took a gander at the Fairy Garden at the library.
A big highlight of the day was going to the Newport Beach Temple. Just sitting out in front made me feel so at peace and happy. My mom asked Josi and I to do a little family history research and find a relative who reminded us of Cami and explain why. Ironically, Josi and I chose the SAME ancestor- our Great Grandma, Christa! (Muzzie's mom). I was at a loss as to who to talk about and I prayed out loud on my way down to my mom's house and her name came to my mind. Clearly, it was no accident and Christa was beckoning to us from beyond the veil. Even now, I feel her and Muz so close. It's especially when I feel like I'm failing as a mother and I feel them RIGHT next to me, cheering me on and quieting those negative thoughts. 
Christa was kind and strong and always had food to share with whoever stopped by. Josi loved how Christa and her sister traveled all the way to Hawaii in 1941 to be with Muz when she had her first baby- something us sisters would do, too. Then, when Rondo passed away unexpectedly, Christa took Muz in and helped care for Ronny so Muz could attend school in Salt Lake and eventually meet Papa. I love how the world has changed so much, but these relationships are so similar. The love and loyalty between sisters, mothers, and daughters hasn't diminished at all. And THAT is a legacy I am proud of!
After the beautiful experience at the temple, we cruised back down to my parent's house and my mom completely out did herself with an exquisite fondue steak dinner! It was soooooo yummy! We had great dinner conversation with my dad- books, TV, movies, Church history... it was all on the table and all fascinating. We sang Happy Birthday and she blew out the candles on her delectable chocolate bunt cake and then we all made a candle thanks to Josi and her amazing new candle making skills! We turned on Moulin Rouge but quickly faded and we were all tucked into bed around 10pm. 
The next morning, we ate a yummy breakfast, got ready for church, and went our separate ways. Duty called! It was such a great weekend celebrating the most beautiful, sweet, kind, generous sister! I am so thankful for her and her influence in my life. Ella says, "Auntie Cami is my best friend!" and I'm sure there are countless others who say the same. Cami is a friend to all and always has a smile on her gorgeous face. Happy Birthday, Cami!








Christa and Elmer in the center with Muz tucked in next to Elmer

My Mom gave Cami her beautiful aqua marine ring because it's her birth stone. 


Ok well, my Dad is the sweetest! I had to sneak a picture of the Valentine's Day card he had left out for my mom
















 

Comments