Parker's Farewell
Whelp, it’s official. Parker is now Elder Peterson. It’s 8:15 on Sunday night and I’ve finally had a chance to sit down. Everyone is taking their quiet time so I’m taking the opportunity to write down the events of the day.
Last week we had the sweet occasion to spend time with Emerald and her family at my parent's house. Cami and Ben were there and Jon came with his family. It was a really fun visit and a great opportunity for everyone to meet and get to know Emerald. They are both supporting each other during these next 2 years as they each reach to new heights and grow in their own unique endeavors. Parker is handling the separation really well!
Ray had to get her brace fixed and we enjoyed a mid day meal together before her appointment.
We had a great time yesterday with soccer play offs for Jack (won his game) and Ella (lost) and a quick trip to the vet for a well check for Winston with Ray. Then Kassidy and Bridger came over for dinner! It was so fun to have them here and I was able to do lots of prep work for today making food. I also got to scan her and find out she’s having a GIRL! Due in April. So sweet and such a fun and unique experience that I will treasure.
This morning we all woke up anticipating a big day but feeling well prepared. Parker wrote an amazing talk which I read late last night. My parents came over early and brought Parker his newly hemmed suit pants so he could wear a fresh suit to church. He looked so handsome! Tons of people came to church to support Parker! Shelley came and sat next to me, of course Kassidy and Bridger and their 2 cute kids Hardy and Sunny. Jon and his family, Cami and her family, and even Kari, Savi, and Tav! Angel came! And Amanda and Liam who sang so beautifully in sacrament meeting- it was the highlight for me! (We sang Be Still My Soul which Parker referenced in his talk). The Talbot’s came all the way from Laguna Hills which was so incredibly sweet. Courtney and her family came and much to Parker’s dismay, Natalie brought Kaelyn. He’s blocked them both since he started dating Emerald and did NOT want to see them. But it was so sweet of them to come and support him, no matter the awkwardness. His friend Kaden from the other ward came (and was one of the boys who came over for lunch as well) And Parker had people log in on the ward Zoom like the Jergensens, Travis, and Kaitlin.
When we arrived at church, Tanner and I were asked to give the prayers so I said the opening which made me nervous but I think it was good. I felt inspired! Parker gave an outstanding talk! (I’ll copy it below). He’s never really given a talk in church before, only on zoom. So he was stressed but it was great! After the meeting, everyone wanted to congratulate him and he was swarmed which was so nice! Eventually we all made it back to our house for lunch. Jon and Lau had to take Brody to soccer but the rest of us went and there ended up being 27 people!
Luckily, we had enough food. Tanner made chicken n rice and I asked a friend from the ward to make homemade rolls which were delicious. We had “Utah” foods like chocolate milk, green jello salad, and chocolate cake with mint chocolate icing. It was yummy and everyone was stuffed. And we had food left over! Everyone stayed for a while to chat and hang out which was so fun. We told stories around the table about when Jon left on his mission and Parker took all the teenagers up to his room to play videos and such. The littles took care of the toddlers and everyone was happy.
At 6:00pm, we met the Stake President for Parker to be set apart as a missionary. He was VERY nervous and complaining of a brutal headache. Tanner was feeling frustrated with him and my mama heart just wanted to take it all away from him. But I know the Lord asks us to do hard things so He can bless us and serving a mission is just about the hardest and most blessed time of anyone’s life. Kim and Kaela were there to witness his blessing as well as Gavin. My parents were there, of course, and Tanner Face Timed his parents in the Philippines which is really cool. Parker’s blessing mentioned joy multiple times- that Parker would have joy while serving and that others would find joy through him. He was blessed with an enthusiasm to do the work and a willingness to be obedient. The mission and all it entails is so up Parker’s ally, I know he’s going to do great! But it’s all an unknown right now and that’s a little bit scary for him. Maybe a lot scary.
I know that our Provo Utah ancestors across the veil are SO excited for Parker to be doing the Lord’s work there. They are going to surround him and be on his left and right side to buoy him up. He’s going to step out of another comfort zone and grow in ways he never knew was possible. I’m so incredible proud of Parker and anxious for him to begin this journey.
We’ve got 10 days of home MTC where he will be glued to the computer and then we can have family dinner and movie nights together. I’m looking forward to it. It’s perfect timing. The Lord’s timing. Parker, I love you with all my heart! You are going to be an amazing missionary!














































Comments