School's Out for Summer!

I have been kind of a mess this week. I thought having a 3 day weekend would leave me feeling refreshed and renewed- especially considering the fact that I was mostly kidless on Saturday. But I was feeling weighted down and tired- probably feeling the pressure to be organized for the last week of school and prepared for a fun Summer!
Parker's last day of school was Wednesday. When I picked him up he was very emotional. He is such a tender heart. I'm glad he ended 4th grade on a high note. He was feeling sad that the year was over but also happy for Summer break. He was dealing with saying goodbye to friends while also feeling relief at the close of a crazy school year. Parker is an extraordinary boy. I am so proud of him. He's positive, kind, generous, funny, and of course, smart. I hugged him and let him cry and then dished him up a big bowl of ice cream. We all know the healing power of ice cream! He made a joke that he was one of those sad characters drowning their sorrows with a carton and a spoon, chocolate dripping down their chin. Parker cracks me up daily.




Rayleigh's last day of school was Thursday. It was the last day she'll ever ride the bus. She absolutely LOVED school and grew so much. Her teachers were so kind and patient with her. They truly loved her as much as she loved them and that made ALL the difference. She can now spell her name and read short words! She is all about counting and sorting and picks flowers like it's her job. She is excited to go to "Parker's" school in July! School every day is gonna be such a change!




When she got off the bus at the end of school on the last day, I tried to hand her a flower and drawing to give to the bus driver but she yelled, "No!" at me and was obstinate! I was furious with her and humiliated by her behavior and put her on time out. She cried and I cried. As I was angrily going through the papers in her back pack I saw that she had note from the school nurse that she had gotten hit in the cheek by a fellow student. My heart broke. The poor thing just wanted to get off the bus and  let down the hurt she was feeling and instead of allowing her the space to feel her feelings, I shoved a task on her. She was not emotionally prepared to smile and hand the bus driver a gift and I forced her to react poorly. I felt terrible. Mom fail. I held her and we cried together and I talked to her about what happened at school. She was sobbing telling me about how a hula hoop hit her head and she was really upset! She never cries when she gets hurt so I knew she was really in pain. I reinforced the lesson that her behavior was not ok and that she should have been kind to the nice bus driver and she agreed. But man, being speech delayed is rough sometimes!

She had such an amazing 6 months at pre school!




Friday was Rayleigh's preschool graduation and Tanner was able to be there! Yay! It was his first time seeing her school and meeting her teachers. It's incredible the team that took care of Rayleigh and helped her learn. I met with them often and had to go alone every time. I was proud to have Tanner meet these outstanding teachers!
Ms. Janet

Ms. Kim was Rayleigh's speech therapist. I met with her several times for assessments and things. She is a remarkable human being and I have so much love and respect for her!


Rayleigh made so many friends and was off socializing and admiring these girls' candy leis before the program began.





Ms. Jannette is on the far left in the red. She told me several times that Rayleigh was her favorite- she loved how Rayleigh was such a cute little beach babe and always so happy. On the far right is Ms. Keri (Wise), Rayleigh's teacher. She was amazing and Rayleigh would frequently say things like, "Ms. Keri is gonna LOVE my dress!" She really made Rayleigh feel special and cared about.





You'd better believe I cried when they called her name and she went running up to receive her "diploma". Stay my wild and free little girl forever!!!!!!!!




We had a few "detox" days where we sat around and watched TV and ate junk. On Saturday, the kids tried out for the swim team! Bring on Summer!!!!!


I love these kids more than anything and I love that we get to be a family forever! We are going to have the BEST Summer EVER!


Comments