Christmas 2020
Before we gathered with the family for the cousin nativity, Tanner tested me, Rayleigh, and Jack for coronavirus (just to be on the safe side- we were negative, obviously). The next day, as I was preparing a turkey dinner and basking in the warmth of Christmas Eve, Ella set up her own creche display made 2020 appropriate with our covid tests. The kids spent the day playing while Parker continued to bang out his school work. I greatly despise asking Tanner to commit to a time when he will be home, but when you are making a turkey dinner, time is of the essence. I finally just told him we were eating between 4-5 and if he was home, he could share in Christmas Eve dinner with us. He made it by the skin of his teeth and neither of us was too happy but we tried our best to "fake it till you make it".
We ended the night with our traditional readings of Luke 2 and T'was the Night Before Christmas. The kids were so eager to go to bed so they could see what Santa brought them. Even though we love Santa, we truly do focus more on our Savior. The kids even forgot about cookies and milk for the Big Guy!
Parker stayed up with us and we watched the Office while we set out the family's gifts and basked in the peace and quiet illuminated by the beautiful tree.
The next morning was a delight! Everyone was so happy! Rayleigh, Jack, and Ella got soft robes and controllers for the new PS5 that Parker was THRILLED to receive! I don't think you've ever seen a 13 year old boy more excited about anything. I printed out all of my blog books and Tanner got a new drone.
Then, Tanner had to go to work. He was gone for the next 5 hours trying to get nurses to show up for their shifts. #2020
The kids played with their new LEGOs and toys and we had a nice, relaxing day. When Tanner finally got home, we surprised the kids with a trip to Hawaii! We leave in 2 weeks! We are going with all of our friends and I can't wait! We didn't do our traditional Christmas Day swim and heat the pool. But we did have a family movie (Soul), and it was really nice to be together. 2020 has reminded us that people, not things, are what's most important.
I told Tanner that what I MOST wanted for Christmas was a whole day alone at home to clean. So, the day after Christmas he took the kids and I cleaned up Christmas while I listened to Outlander- I'd been on hold for a YEAR for that book so it was the best day listening to it!!! He tried to take the kids up to the snow but there wasn't much so they went to a couple parks and he played around with his new drone. They got food and when they all got home, we all relaxed in the hot tub. It was probably my favorite day of the year. ha ha jk
I really wanted to take the kids up to Idaho this week but it's just not gonna happen. We don't wanna risk getting exposed to covid before our flight! We can't go if we test positive. So, we'll snuggle down and ring in the New Year together.
This Christmas was not what we were expecting but we are so blessed and we have grown closer to the Savior. Remembering His birth is something I look forward to every year and I'm so thankful for the knowledge I have that He was born, died for us, and lives again!
































Comments