MCO Messiah in America
This Spring, MCO was very different. They choirs rehearsed and performed Messiah in America with the musical trio, Gentri. It was a full stage production with sets and costumes. The church donated $1 million and many others donated funds to make this show possible. They performed at Segerstrom Hall which is the same stage that Broadway shows use. It was super stressful figuring out how to sew everyone’s costumes. I just couldn’t handle that so I delegated it to Tanner. He handed it off to Ricky and honestly, none of the kids nor Tanner would have been able to perform if it wasn’t for Ricky. We are so thankful for him!!!
Usually, the concerts fall during times when we are off track from school, but this time, the shows were in May and that was a bit tricky. Wednesday was an all evening dress rehearsal and by the end of the night, they changed the call time from 1pm to 11:30am the next day. I didn’t see how this was possible. We’d already done some serious logistical gymnastics to negotiate how we would pull it all off just getting the kids there by 1pm. Now that the times changed, it was insane. Parker had to miss most of the day of work (He and Tanner went in for just 2 hours in the morning…. Parker needs a car..). The girls were completely exhausted, getting home around 11pm the night of the dress rehearsal so I let them skip school. But Jack had gold rush day and I had to work. So Tanner took the girls early and made it there in time for their new call time. I took the boys and Jack was there at 1:15pm but apparently it was allllll good.
Parker and I went shopping for the next day’s many birthday parties and teacher appreciation and such. Then we met up with my parents for our yummy traditional dinner at Maggianos. It was sooo delicious and so fun being together. On our walk over to the Segerstrom, I found an envelope of cash! There was close to $100 in it and I brought it to security and they said to keep it. Score!
Another score was the fact that we had FRONT ROW center seats. I mean, we had the best seats in the house. It was incredible. My expectations of this show were undecided. I didn’t really know what to expect. But I can assure you, it exceeded every idea I had about Messiah in America. We all felt the spirit in ways we had never done so before. The music was all encompassing. Being so close to the voices on stage (including Gentri) and having more of the choir stand and sing behind us on the sides of the audience was breathtaking.
During the first show, the kids realized where I was sitting so for the second show, they made sure to make their way to center stage so they could be near me. There was a non member man sitting next to me and he thought the kids were so cute and was truly touched by the whole production. He was very impressed!
The way the man who portrayed Jesus connected with choir members on stage one by one was something I’ll never forget. The spirit was so strong as he’d lock eyes with someone (mostly children) and then beckon them to come to him. They would feel the nail prints in his hands and feet and then hug him so tight. All the while, he had tears in his eyes which made all of US have tears in OUR eyes. Meanwhile, the choirs are singing the most beautiful music you’ve ever heard. It was heavenly and angelic and ethereal and I wish we could bottle up not just the sound but the spirit that was present.
I’m so incredibly proud of Tanner and the kids. They worked SO hard this semester and it all came together so wonderfully. The vision that Bret and Brandon had for this production was truly inspired. We will hold this night dear to our hearts forever.
Parker was feeling pretty discouraged walking onto the concert. We ran into the Braithwaites on the way in and had a good talk as we sat down. (We ran into them in the parking lot on the way out too) I think feeling the spirit so strongly and seeing Jesus bless all those people right in front of our eyes- to see their eyes, the expressions in their faces, it really helped put things into perspective and Parker left feeling a lot better than when he walked in.
And that’s what Christ does. He lifts our burdens. He delivers peace. He’s our advocate with the Father. In no other way could these truths be more plainly taught than through this transcendent production.
Usually, the concerts fall during times when we are off track from school, but this time, the shows were in May and that was a bit tricky. Wednesday was an all evening dress rehearsal and by the end of the night, they changed the call time from 1pm to 11:30am the next day. I didn’t see how this was possible. We’d already done some serious logistical gymnastics to negotiate how we would pull it all off just getting the kids there by 1pm. Now that the times changed, it was insane. Parker had to miss most of the day of work (He and Tanner went in for just 2 hours in the morning…. Parker needs a car..). The girls were completely exhausted, getting home around 11pm the night of the dress rehearsal so I let them skip school. But Jack had gold rush day and I had to work. So Tanner took the girls early and made it there in time for their new call time. I took the boys and Jack was there at 1:15pm but apparently it was allllll good.
Parker and I went shopping for the next day’s many birthday parties and teacher appreciation and such. Then we met up with my parents for our yummy traditional dinner at Maggianos. It was sooo delicious and so fun being together. On our walk over to the Segerstrom, I found an envelope of cash! There was close to $100 in it and I brought it to security and they said to keep it. Score!
Another score was the fact that we had FRONT ROW center seats. I mean, we had the best seats in the house. It was incredible. My expectations of this show were undecided. I didn’t really know what to expect. But I can assure you, it exceeded every idea I had about Messiah in America. We all felt the spirit in ways we had never done so before. The music was all encompassing. Being so close to the voices on stage (including Gentri) and having more of the choir stand and sing behind us on the sides of the audience was breathtaking.
During the first show, the kids realized where I was sitting so for the second show, they made sure to make their way to center stage so they could be near me. There was a non member man sitting next to me and he thought the kids were so cute and was truly touched by the whole production. He was very impressed!
The way the man who portrayed Jesus connected with choir members on stage one by one was something I’ll never forget. The spirit was so strong as he’d lock eyes with someone (mostly children) and then beckon them to come to him. They would feel the nail prints in his hands and feet and then hug him so tight. All the while, he had tears in his eyes which made all of US have tears in OUR eyes. Meanwhile, the choirs are singing the most beautiful music you’ve ever heard. It was heavenly and angelic and ethereal and I wish we could bottle up not just the sound but the spirit that was present.
I’m so incredibly proud of Tanner and the kids. They worked SO hard this semester and it all came together so wonderfully. The vision that Bret and Brandon had for this production was truly inspired. We will hold this night dear to our hearts forever.
Parker was feeling pretty discouraged walking onto the concert. We ran into the Braithwaites on the way in and had a good talk as we sat down. (We ran into them in the parking lot on the way out too) I think feeling the spirit so strongly and seeing Jesus bless all those people right in front of our eyes- to see their eyes, the expressions in their faces, it really helped put things into perspective and Parker left feeling a lot better than when he walked in.
And that’s what Christ does. He lifts our burdens. He delivers peace. He’s our advocate with the Father. In no other way could these truths be more plainly taught than through this transcendent production.














































Comments