Rayleigh's Baptism


The day could not have been more beautiful. 
I worked really hard to be organized and prepared and it completely paid off- more than I could have ever expected. Kassidy, Bridger, Baby Hardy, and Kim flew in on Saturday. Parker was in OC for an MCO Youth Retreat. So we all headed down to Ruby’s in Laguna Beach to pick him up, had a yummy and fun dinner, and then walked around the Montage at sunset. I was so proud of my SoCal spots and my cozy home. I thought their accommodations were excellent, if I do say so myself. I tried to anticipate every need and I wanted everyone to be comfortable and happy.

Sunday morning dawned with a bright brilliance and a calm expectation for the events of the day.  It was Audrey’s farewell and she gave a wonderful talk on how she can be the best missionary she can be. There was a lovely musical number and they announced Rayleigh’s baptism. The spirit was so strong- I felt so happy and loved!

After church, a few families hung around with us and we all contributed some snacks. We prepared for the baptism, chatted, and ate. It was very relaxed and it was a nice time working together to get Rayleigh ready. Kathy Brown was a huge help setting up the Relief Society room, but as it turned out, the Orchard Park Mandarin Branch graciously allowed us to use the chapel because the turn out for Rayleigh’s baptism was extraordinary!

Kassidy braided Rayleigh’s hair with care and precision. We took a few pictures and then I could hear the faint sounds of the piano. Since Josi has just been given her very first foster child (a little 1 year old boy named Isaiah) I asked Erika C to help with the piano. What amazing friends I have that all stepped up to support Rayleigh and me! It really touched my heart.

As we gathered in the chapel, I looked around and was in awe at the show of support! There were close to 70 people there and all of Rayleigh’s little friends sat next to her on the front row pew- reverently coloring little love notes for Rayleigh. I didn’t know where Ella was and as I glanced around, I made eye contact with Angel- she had Ella in her care.

My village.

My whole village showed up and I cannot express how happy that made me. Jack said the opening prayer and needed just a little help. He was so brave and so willing to help. My mom gave a wonderful talk on the 3 Bears of Baptisms. Her pretty voice was calming and invited the spirit. She gave Rayleigh a big white teddy bear and a beautiful set of scriptures with Rayleigh’s name engraved on them. After the talk, we went to the baptismal font. There were about 20 little kids down in the front to see her and their enthusiasm was so heart warming. I led Rayleigh to the font and gave her a great big hug. She was glowing- smiling ear to ear the likes I’ve never seen! Her dad baptized her and she looked up at him with big, kind eyes and smiled so big! When she came up out of the water, her smile was jubilant and she gave Tanner a big hug. Jack was thrilled for her and couldn’t keep quiet! It was a great moment.

We quickly changed and beat Tanner back to the chapel. He took quite a while but hey, this was Rayleigh’s baptism and it didn’t need to be perfect. It was just like her, free spirited and full of love and joy! Kim gave the talk on the Holy Ghost and had Rayleigh stand up with her (which Rayleigh loved) as she explained how the items in her basket could help her remember what the the Holy Ghost does for us. She made the most beautiful, minky blanket and wrapped it around Rayleigh to represent the comfort the spirit can bring to us. Rayleigh LOVES the blanket and snuggled right into Kim when she wrapped her up. Rayleigh whispered in her ear, “Do I get to keep all of this?” Sweet thing. Kim and my Mom both did an excellent job on their talks and I’m so grateful for their willingness to participate. Jessie, Kimmie, Kaela, and Angel’s 4 older boys all sang “Peace in Christ” and they totally nailed it. It was sung loud and clear and they sounded like angels. Angel’s boys had the entire thing memorized- Even Nano! Seeing his little dimpled face up there made my heart melt! Erika asked Amanda if she would come and play Peace in Christ and she did which just made me feel so good- they all worked together to make our day perfect and I cannot thank them all enough!

Then Tanner confirmed Rayleigh as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He blessed her again with compassion and the instincts to lift up the hands that hand down. This is definitely 
an area where she shines and I know Heavenly Father is already so proud of the way she utilizes that spiritual gift. Tanner, my Dad, Bridger, Jon, Luis, the Bishop, and our Stake President all stood in the circle and what power lay in their hands! She gave them each a big hug.
Bishop Paul Duncan then gave some remarks and invited Rayleigh up to see everyone who was there to support her. Each one of those people was there because they loved her. He said, “There must be about 45 people here!” And immediately you could see her lips start to move and her eyes cross over the room as she began to count. He counseled her to go home and write in her journal all of the thoughts and feelings about her baptism day and to remember everyone who was there who loved her. After he said, “Ok, Rayleigh. How maybe people are here?” And she said, “64!” But the Stake President who was sitting on the stand presiding, said “No, I think there are 68!” And she said, “Well, I think it’s 64.” Ha ha Way to challenge the patriarchy, Rayleigh! We all laughed and Erika, who was sitting behind the piano said, “Don’t forget about me!” 
Our Primary President, Laura Meaders, got up to welcome Rayleigh as the newest member of the church and give her some gummy bears. She said she’s watched Rayleigh grow up since she started in nursery and has admired how happy and kind she always is. She is a bright ray of sunshine! Many people commented on how Rayleigh is so sunny and friendly. And she is!
Tanner and I were able to bear a brief testimony (thank you, Kathy Brown, for that brilliant idea). Here is mine, I had to write it down:

My Testimony:
Rayleigh, your name represents the wonder and amazement of the bright blue sky- the hope that the sun will rise to shine on us each and every day. When Daddy blessed you as a newborn baby, he foretold your exquisite ability to lift up the hands that hang down. You are a shining light for the world and your Heavenly Father is very proud of you. He loves you very much. And so do I! Continue on this covenant path you are on, my little trail runner. With the Lord always by your side and the Holy Ghost to guide you, your life’s journey, which is already nothing short of a miracle, will be filled with such marvelous works and wonders the world has ever seen. I know God lives and that the promises you made today will bless you each and every day as you turn to Him in faith and trust. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Tanner was very sweet and said *****

We ended with I Love to See the Temple, the next step on her covenant path. Cami led the music and looked so pretty up there. Ella said the closing prayer and didn’t need any help at all! But she spoke very loudly into the microphone and got the giggles. Ain’t nothing like a Peterson to liven up the room!

The baptism was utter perfection. I loved every single moment of it. My heart was so full. When I looked out, I saw Elder Hill! He was able to receive special permission to leave the area where he is currently serving and come to her baptism! I cried when I saw him and gave him a great big hug! He came almost every Sunday he served in our ward (about 6 months) and did "Covid" church with us and taught Rayleigh all about baptism. He will always be so special to us!!! I’m so glad he could be a part of our amazing day!
It took a while to gather up our supplies and say goodbye to everyone. We’d been at the church for a long time and it was great! But we were having an “after party” at our house so I needed to get home and host!













































 

Comments