Washington State and Canada

When we flew to Hawaii and got stuck on the tarmac, we each were given a flight voucher. So I used that to buy us tickets up to Bellingham Washington. We flew up Tuesday morning but poor Parker had been up all night throwing up and I wasn’t sure he was going to make it. And, that morning, I felt super sick as well, and was dry heaving. But I said a prayer and I felt a little better. I helped Parker gather his things and get in the car and prayed that we would all make it OK. Well, boarding the plane was slick and easy, and we were blessed with the best flight attendant of all time! His name was Jeff, and he was amazing. He made sure that Parker had a row all to himself, gave him tons of Gingerale,  a big bag of snacks, and even double bagged a bag for him to throw up and if he got sick. He handed me Lysol wipes, Extra bags, and drinks for after we arrived in Washington and were driving. Luckily we didn’t need any of that, but he was so thoughtful and kind and generous. We had a stop in Oakland and he got on the intercom and let everybody know that we were sitting in the back and there was no room. He even ripped out the seat next to Parker so that nobody would sit next to him. Jeff was awesome! He made me a special birthday drink with orange juice, cranberry juice, and sparkling water. The flight was so enjoyable even though we were feeling so sick because he was so kind.
I had a low-grade fever, though, so, when we got to our beautiful Airbnb, I just laid under a heated blanket while Tanner made dinner for everybody. But we built a fire and snuggled up and watched the last and final Harry Potter movie and it was really nice.
I took some meclizine that night, and I was pretty drowsy the next day, but feeling a lot better. So we decided to go exploring. We hiked to some waterfalls, checked out some amazing tide pools, and explored the trail and nature preserve around our Airbnb. It was beautiful! Washington is so green and full of Pretty trails. We made some yummy food and even an ice cream cake. We watched a lot of movies and taught the kids how to play checkers.  Ella slept next to me each night, and we fell asleep, holding hands which was so sweet.
The next day we went to Canada! The kids finally got to use their passports! We didn’t know what to do in Canada besides hike around a park where there were suspension bridges. But that was really cool! And Rayleigh encouraged us to hike down to the crystal clear water, which was a highlight, for sure. We got yummy Popsicles and drove around gorgeous, clean Vancouver and found a cool place for lunch. We ate at a place called Cora’s which was a breakfast place, but it was super yummy. Then we drove around the city and decided maybe it was time to go back to America. We stopped by a winery that is owned by a friend of one of Tanner‘s coworkers . It was cool to see the big machines and they gave us a ton of free French food. Everything in Canada has French written on it. On the way out of Canada, we stopped by this beautiful seaside town, called Crescent Bay and got gelato. We walk down to the beach, but it was a little gross so we went back to the car and drove back across the border.
Friday was our last full day and we went down to the lake, but realized we didn’t know what else to do so we just kind of hung around our Airbnb and enjoyed just being together and relaxing. We watched the last Harry Potter movie, the live action, Pinocchio, the live action, Peter Pan, and Shrek. Lots of movies! And we made lots of yummy food maybe what we needed was a few days of rest and relaxation after all of the jampacked days we’ve had. No one seemed to complain with the slow paced vacation, but I felt guilty that I didn’t have more activities planned for us.
On Saturday, we cleaned up and got checked out of our beautiful Airbnb, and drove around Bellingham. We found the area of Fairhaven and that looked pretty cute and we should’ve spent more time there. But we drove to a harbor where they were hosting a regatta, and that was pretty fun! We got some lunch and enjoy the sunshine and then it was time to fly home.
Our time in Washington was not really what we were expecting in terms of activity level. But we had a lot of fun together, and I think it was just what we needed. Our flight home was smooth and since I’d done all the laundry, I had the kids unpack their bags, and put everything away before they went to bed. It was a nice birthday trip and I really appreciated the gift of an experience. Tanner took really good care of me and of all of us and I’m really grateful for him.
Next up: my birthday!



























































































 

Comments