SUP WEEK


This week, Rayleigh and Jack have been participating in their first year of stand-up paddleboard camp at the Back Bay in Newport Beach. Their first day was Monday which was also Ella’s birthday! It was a little bit of a hustle getting out on Monday morning but we made it. Thanks to Covid, there’s no traffic anymore! Woo hoo! 

Jack was a slightly hesitant to warm up, but  by the end of the day he was ecstatic. They had the best time and love having so many guy instructors. Parker and I hung out with Ella on the beach and spoiled her with attention and treats and ice cream. She loved playing on the playground- a luxury now, due to the fact that so many parks are still closed. 
We came home and Parker went to a friend's house to play while I swam with Ella and made dinner. Tanner didn’t quite make it home to eat with us but we had ice cream together in the hot tub. I hope Ella knows how loved and valued she is!! She is our pretty princess forever! I loved laying in bed that night pouring over my memories from this day each passing year and re living so many cherished moments. I love giving birth!!!!

On Tuesday, we dropped off Rayleigh and Jack at the Back Bay and then took Ella to Coastal Kids for HER well check. Luckily she didn’t have any shots because she was very hesitant and did NOT want to be there. But she was very brave and didn’t cry and was very obedient. She is perfectly healthy and the cutest little doll. When we got back to Stand Up Paddleboard Camp, we decided to walk around the Bay and watch Rayleigh and Jack perform their new skill! We found Jack right on the beach totally glowing with pride in himself- he is a stud! But we couldn’t find Rayleigh. Well, in true Rayleigh fashion, she’s paddled clear across the Bay to the other side and an instructor had to go after her and bring her back. Duh, she just wanted to check it out over there! Sheesh...
When we got home, we got Parker going on his school work and I think it’s gonna be a great year for 8th grade. It’s very straight forward, organized very obviously all on the computer, and he can get it all done before lunch. He’s gonna rock!
On Wednesday, we left Parker at home to get his work done so that meant it was just Ella and me enjoying the beach while Rayleigh and Jack were at camp. We had a nice relaxing day. I love having one on one time with my kiddos. I spent some time trying to re plan our couples trip for November. Too many cooks in the kitchen. We are still trying to figure it out. But whatever it is, it will be great! 
After SUP camp, we came home and I dropped off the kids and cleaned out the car. They are always so exhausted when they get home so I let them have some quiet time. I ran to the chiropractor but they were closed for lunch so I had to sit there in the heat for 20 minutes. Then I raced to Smart and Final for milk and a few groceries and the chick in front of me was having issues and I had to wait there for another 20 minutes.  I couldn’t go forward or backward because my food was all laid out on the belt and all of the Covid restrictions- I was stuck. But don’t worry, I was patient. When I got home, I started dinner because I was bringing some to Yvette who just had surgery. In the middle of dinner, the power went out! It was already over 80 in the house because we are trying to do our part to save energy (feels cool when you walk in from The 105 Outside! But I was gonna die if the power didn’t come back on- don’t worry, it did) But I’m sitting there sweating as I am trying to make dinner and Ella grabbed my phone to pretend to take pictures of me. Well, she dropped my phone and broke it... and that’s just how my day was going- not so great. But I brought dinner to Yvette and then jumped in the pool to cool off and all was right in the world. Ella and I swam and ate strawberry shortcake and stayed until the evening cooled off a little bit. 
Tanner worked late with Steve so I got the kids to bed and he came to join me around 9:45. We had a good talk and I’m excited for him to meet with Covey on Friday. They're having him running 2 buildings now! Come on!

Thursday, I left Parker at home to do school work, Tanner took Ella to school and Jill picked her up for me, and I was able to sit at the Bay with my feet in the water and get caught up on my reading a writing a little bit! Nice! I met Tanner back at home after SUP camp and we made our way down to San Diego for a work "team building" day. We got there after a few activities but we arrived in time for the sunset Duffy Boat ride and dinner at Cannonballs in Mission Beach. I'd never been to that end of Mission Bay with Belmont Park and everything. It was a happening place! So fun and busy! It was nice to finally have some one on one time with Tanner even if he was working most of the time- we had the 3 hours in the car to chat. 

Friday was the kids' last day of camp. They had been waiting allll week for the chance to finally play on the inflatables out on the water. Parker came with me this day and we could see Jack out on the big one- climbing up and jumping off. They had a blast! The instructors were soooo good with Rayleigh and Jack- they had endless patients when Rayleigh paddled across the entire Bay or ran over to the playground during free time. I think Jack was stoked that there were lots of guy instructors. Before leaving the Back Bay, we all got swirly cones and ate them quickly as they dripped sticky drops all over us in the heat. Totally worth it!
The kids were all trashed by the end of the week and frankly, so was I! Tanner had a big meeting with Covey on Friday and once again we had our hopes up and there was a lot of talk and not so much action. Same old story.

Saturday was a day full of parties! We headed to Linda Lane for Gunnar's 5th birthday party. We grabbed some breakfast burritos and got there right at 11 and guess what? It was hot, humid, and a complete zoo! There was no where to park. I dropped everyone off and circled the parking lot several times, asking people who were walking if they were leaving. I finally got lucky and followed some people to their car and got yelled at by some guy who wanted their spot too. RUDE! After 45 minutes, I was finally done parking and joined everyone for the celebration. We ate pizza and sang Happy Birthday with an awesome cake. Parker was so cute and brought a game for the big kids to play. It was a fun time. It was HOT so we headed to the beach and guess what? It was packed. Like, more packed than I'd ever seen it. And the tide was high and the waves were huge... and crowded. Did I mention that it was crowded. Ella stayed with Kaela playing under shade of the lifeguard tower while Tanner and I swam with our kids in the ocean. I didn't realize how crazy the water was and had to duck dive the waves. Immediately I realized that was a mistake as ocean water shot into my ear with the tube creating the most excruciating pain. I grabbed Rayleigh and we tried to ride a few waves but I couldn't duck dive deep enough while holding on to her and we got thoroughly tossed and crashed by a wave. I seriously thought I was going to drown, I couldn't reach the surface to catch my breath! I let go of Rayleigh and when I found her in the white wash, she was crying. But no time for tears because the waves kept coming relentlessly. I carried her to shore, shaky, adrenaline pumping, and dizzy, my ear full of water. I knew I needed to lay down and get the water out but when I made it back to our set-up, Parker was sitting with a lifeguard getting his toe wrapped up! He's stepped on a rock and sliced his foot and was bleeding all over the place! Sheesh! And to top it off, Jack was playing with Gunnar and he was apparently throwing sand and being annoying and Jon said, "Chan! Jack's throwing sand! You better go over there!" Ughhhhh It was just a cluster of bad luck and we needed to get out of there ASAP.
By the grace of God, I drove us home and we got ready for party number 2. My ear was still full of water so Tanner suggested we administer some drops. That was a BAD IDEA. The moment the drops hit my ear canal I screamed in pain and dropped to my knees. I couldn't catch my breath, it was the most searing pain I've ever experienced. I was crying so hard and knew it wouldn't be possible for me to rally in time for this party. So Tanner took the kids while I laid in agony on the couch and very, very slowly, drop by drop, the water started to exit. But it was very painful.
The kids had fun at Presley's party and since Presley's dad is a podiatrist, he was able to clean and professionally wrap Parker's toe.
All in all, it was a traumatic day. But we survived.
I'm once again so very thankful for the gift of Sundays. For a day removed from the rest of the week to remove ourselves from the rest of the world... To focus on our master healer, Jesus Christ. Not only can He help mend our physical wounds, but He can mend our hearts. This week we studied Alma 53-63 and talked a lot about being offended. We will be hurt and offended in this life and it will probably happen more often than we'd prefer. But what we choose to do when we are offended separates us from being Christlike or more like the natural man. As I drove home from the beach I prayed not to let what Jon said offend me- to have love in my heart for him and tenderness toward him. We can be sanctified as we yield our hearts to God and that is a profound blessing.
Today is a much needed day of rest. We slept in, made a big yummy breakfast, watched a Worldwide Youth Musical Devotional, had a short home church meeting, ate chicken n rice, and now we are about to venture out to the pool. Tonight is family movie night and Parker is baking brownies to go along with our ice cream and popcorn. Our family likes to work hard and play hard... and chill hard. 
And, 
team work makes the dream work.

















































































 

Comments